British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-20, 06:27 AM

Default ATS Regimental Association Badgee

I doubt I am stating it correctly in my subject line, but I am trying to confirm if my understanding about the ATS ladies - when they were attached to a unit/regiment, they were allowed to wear that unit's/regiment's badge on their left breast. I have always thought that this badge was a collar badge version and not a cap badge. Is my understanding correct on this?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 15-02-20, 10:39 AM

From photographic evidence (search google) both cap and collar badges were worn. Mostly corps badges but I have also seen infantry unit badges worn.

List of badges I have noted been worn on left breast by ATS personal.

RA Grenade
RASC Cap (or Collar)
RAOC Collar
REME Cap
Signal Corps Cap (or Collar)
Kings Crown
RAPC Cap (or collar)
RE Collar badge
RAMC Collar
Intelligence Corps Cap
Leicestershire Cap
Old 15-02-20, 11:22 AM

The regulation stated collar badge, with the approval of both the ATS Commander and Unit Commander. However collar badges were not always available.

Marc
Old 15-02-20, 11:37 AM

In March 1940 the ATS were authorised to wear the badge or button of the Regiment or Corps with which they worked above the left breast pocket of their SD jacket. As Marc says they also wore the cap badge and three examples of them being worn are shown.

The last example is interesting in that the badge is that of the 20th London Regiment which in 1934 became 34th Searchlight Regt.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS 2nd patt cap.jpg (41.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg ATS attd RAMC JM.jpg (31.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg ATS attd SL Regt that was 20th Londons.jpg (44.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 15-02-20, 02:30 PM

Thank you gentlemen!!! This is excellent and very much appreciated! I have studied many photos on line, and thought I could see both badge sizes being worn, but wanted to be sure and knew this was the place to ask.

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 15-02-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 23-08-20, 03:14 AM

I have continued to search for pictures of ATS girls wearing associated badges above their left breast pocket. In Jon's post to this thread he shows a girl in the 20th London Regt, which became the 34th Searchlight wearing the Royal West Kent Cap badge.

And in my soft cover copy of the Doyle and Foster "British Army Cap Badges of the Second World War", on page 6, there is a picture of three ATS girls wearing the Queens regimental cap badge above their left breast pocket.

So, here are two verified pictures of cap badges to add to the list of cap/collar badges worn by ATS girls

Terry