British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-20, 11:29 AM

Default Home Guard Badges

Back in 2001 I and fellow collector Terry Carney wrote a book on Home Guard insignia entitled In the Space of a Single Day. Ignoring the c..p reprint of 2008 (for which I was not responsible) it has not been reprinted since.

I am now planning an updated version which will include a large number of badges which have surfaced in the last 19 years. Amongst the new information will be images of all the county letters worn by the Home Guard - sample attached - but some are proving elusive. If you have examples of the following letters a scan would be appreciated;
A, BNF, CA, F&D, INV, ORK, R-L, SU, WNM.

I am also looking for examples of early local semi-official badges - including armbands - and detailed photos like the attached of HG badges being worn.

I am in the process of putting together a list of items known about but not so far discovered and will supply a copy to anyone interested.

Please PM me if you are able to help.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GLS 8 ST.jpg (108.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg HG AA JM.jpg (46.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 22-01-20, 11:27 AM

Just bumping in the hope that someone might have examples of the HG county letters A, BNF, CA, F&D, INV, ORK, R-L, SU, WNM.

Jon
Old 23-01-20, 12:31 PM

No Home Guard oddities, rarities or interesting bits out there?

Jon
Old 25-01-20, 09:04 AM

I'm afraid not.

I've never collected Home Guard stuff but I'd be interested in some pointers to research. My Grandfather, wounded in WWI, was in a reserved occupation but served in the Home Guard in WWII and I'd be interested finding out more about what he and his unit were up to!

I have his medals, WWI kilt and Glengarry badge but nothing Home Guard related for him.
Old 10-02-20, 04:46 AM

I am not able to help with any bits for your book, but will sure be anxious to get a copy when printed!!! Very exciting!!!

Terry