British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-18, 03:09 PM

Question Forthcoming 'Helmets of the British Home Front' book?

I saw a leaflet today for a book called 'Helmets of the British Home Front' - by George and Adrian Blake. It says it will be the first book dedicated to the markings on non-military helmets used in Britain, with over 300 pages and over 1,000 helmets in full colour. If the range of rare helmets posted on the leaflet is anything to go by, it will be a cracking book. Does anybody know anything else about the book, such as when it will be published, price etc?
Old 04-07-18, 02:20 AM

Where did you hear about the book ARPCDHG?
Old 04-07-18, 05:53 AM

I know one of the authors and it has a few from my collection in it.

Due out soon.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home front helmets book.jpg (76.0 KB, 189 views)

Jerry
Old 04-07-18, 11:15 AM

Had not seen the flyer but have seen a draft of the book - some of my helmets are in it - and would thoroughly recommend it. A superb and well-researched book.

Jon
Old 04-07-18, 12:37 PM

Brilliant news - looking forward to it.

Could forum members update this thread when the publication date/price/order details are announced.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-18, 04:37 PM

I have contacted the authors who tell me it's not yet published and no firm date yet. I will keep members posted.

Jon
Old 04-07-18, 10:55 PM

Thanks Jon.
Old 10-07-18, 04:23 PM

Hi....I'm here (now).....

Thank you "Post Warden" and JJB for your kind words of support.

I'm currently proof reading and trying to iron-out all those areas which will be picked apart by buyers/readers....although I fear I'll never reach that point....so I guess it'll be "warts'n'all".......but it DOES look good!
Old 11-07-18, 08:54 AM

Welcome to the Forum. It does indeed look good. Can't wait.

Jon
Old 12-07-18, 02:22 PM

Thank you Mr "Post Warden" ...I was thinking of joining as "Chief Warden" to outrank you....something I'll never be able to do in the real world!

As has already been mentioned, and at the moment at least, it's my intention to wrap the book up at somewhere like 320 pages....and there's already about 1,000 different helmets (photographs - colour too) in there along with some period b&w shots although I continue to stress about the issue of Copyright...although as Post Warden knows I'm getting over those fears (thank you Jon for that). There's a number of chapters covering AFS/NFS, Wardens, Police, Industrial ARP, Gas, FG, IOs, Repair, Casualty Services, Ambulance, Rescue, FAP, Messengers, HQ, WVS etc etc..and some stuff in there about non-standard helmets and bits that bolted on to them.....but it's restricted in the main to the markings...NOT the helmets themselves so don't expect to learn a lot about the Teddy Toy Company or the Harrison Brothers!
Old 12-07-18, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Black Bands View Post
Thank you Mr "Post Warden" ...I was thinking of joining as "Chief Warden" to outrank you....something I'll never be able to do in the real world!

As has already been mentioned, and at the moment at least, it's my intention to wrap the book up at somewhere like 320 pages....and there's already about 1,000 different helmets (photographs - colour too) in there along with some period b&w shots although I continue to stress about the issue of Copyright...although as Post Warden knows I'm getting over those fears (thank you Jon for that). There's a number of chapters covering AFS/NFS, Wardens, Police, Industrial ARP, Gas, FG, IOs, Repair, Casualty Services, Ambulance, Rescue, FAP, Messengers, HQ, WVS etc etc..and some stuff in there about non-standard helmets and bits that bolted on to them.....but it's restricted in the main to the markings...NOT the helmets themselves so don't expect to learn a lot about the Teddy Toy Company or the Harrison Brothers!
Any idea of an approximate ETA and price?
Old 13-07-18, 09:52 AM

Launch date WAS going to be in time for the War and Peace Show...but sadly that's slipped.....but I'm hopeful of getting it done, dusted and printed this year. Price....well, that's not finalised either but I'll be looking to cover costs of course...and that will be driven in the main by the print costs obviously. Not very helpful I know....sorry about that.
Old 13-07-18, 07:26 PM

I have, somewhere! a tatty / rusty, standard black 'tommy' style helmet which has E F F painted to front, ww11? Emergency Fire Fighter? post ww11 use?
Out of a loft many years ago (sisters boyfriend) with another standard black one, and a ww11 long tube gas mask he kept the mask and gave me the helmets!

In the book?
Old 13-07-18, 09:55 PM

Nope.....and not seen one of those either. My guess is that it'd be an Industrial ARP helmet with EEP representing the Company's initials - I've not come across EEP as a function/role title. I come across at least one new (to me) one every week...I guess you've just given me next weeks (I've already found this weeks unknown one!)
Old 17-07-18, 01:13 PM

Have you seen my Tesco helmet discussed previously here?

Rob

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=tesco