British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-18, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
All the wartime MKII's I have seen have been dark blue, such as the one I showed, same for the post war MKIII's and MKIV's, though perhaps not as dark as the wartime examples.

That said, a serch shows some were black as well as the blue examples and also I had forgotten that senior officers wore white with a badge of rank insignia on it
Hi Chaps and jerry
heres one of mine a slight gloss finish police helmet with 2 white bands note the police under the police and the last pic is of the more normal type encountered with the white bottom band going all the way round the helmet ATB Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8979.jpg (30.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8980.jpg (22.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8982.jpg (35.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8983.jpg (44.0 KB, 21 views)

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 19-09-18, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
Hi Chaps and jerry
heres one of mine a slight gloss finish police helmet with 2 white bands note the police under the police and the last pic is of the more normal type encountered with the white bottom band going all the way round the helmet ATB Steve
Nice Steve.

I was told two white bands was for sgt's, here is mine for the special constabularly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc senior grade police mkii 1 (1).jpg (61.5 KB, 32 views)

Jerry
Old 20-09-18, 01:31 PM

Quote:
First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (FANY) badged example, which on its own makes this rare (I only know of one other which I could have doubts about) but also because it is a re-furbished WWI Raw edged Brodie shell fitted with a WWII MKI liner. This type of helmet is known as a MKI*, though most you see are not rimless as many were retrofitted with rims during the great war.
oh lordy lord that is nice.
Old 20-09-18, 07:59 PM

Some amazing helmets here...My Police examples...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1767EDD-D512-4113-AA7E-D6994BE30BCF.jpg (52.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 20-09-18, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
oh lordy lord that is nice.
Thanks Michael, it is one of my most prized items in my collection.

Jerry
Old 21-09-18, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhf79 View Post
Some amazing helmets here...My Police examples...
An excellent collection of Police helmets.

Jerry
Old 09-11-18, 05:11 PM

Quote:
All the wartime MKII's I have seen have been dark blue, such as the one I showed, same for the post war MKIII's and MKIV's, though perhaps not as dark as the wartime examples.

That said, a serch shows some were black as well as the blue examples and also I had forgotten that senior officers wore white with a badge of rank insignia on it
The shade of blue on the helmets that I remember as part of the equipment in police vehicles during the 1980's - 90's, I'm not sure if "POLICE" was stencilled in white paint rather than applied as a transfer or sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15417830043193039589719941526337~2.jpg (13.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-11-18, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The shade of blue on the helmets that I remember as part of the equipment in police vehicles during the 1980's - 90's, I'm not sure if "POLICE" was stencilled in white paint rather than applied as a transfer or sticker.
Leigh,

the MKIV's/V's do seem to have been a different shade to wartime examples, as you have shown.

Jerry
Old 27-11-18, 07:44 AM

Mr ASR142....can you confirm a couple of things about your shiny blue POLICE one for me please.

1) It LOOKS like the POLICE letter has been painted...by hand??? I think I can make out brush strokes

2) It also LOOKS like it was applied on top of an underlying more traditional POLICE stencil in another type face?

if it's a pain, it's not worth the effort but it may go someway to explain the bluey-ness (?? :-) )
Old 27-11-18, 08:35 PM

I see the helmet in the opening post was made by Briggs Motor Bodies, does anyone know of a list of manufacturers of these helmets in WW2 ?. I know there would have been several but I'm curious as to whether Vauxhall Motors made them at all. Local history tells that the company made various military items from steel off-cuts etc. such as ammo boxes, jerrycans and the like, so I wonder if they also knocked out helmets. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 27-11-18, 09:22 PM

Hoot,

No connection to the Owners of this shop or website but there is a list here on the Treasure Bunker Militaria site.

https://www.treasurebunker.com/forum...-maker-stamps/

Simon.
Old 27-11-18, 09:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Hoot,

No connection to the Owners of this shop or website but there is a list here on the Treasure Bunker Militaria site.

https://www.treasurebunker.com/forum...-maker-stamps/

Simon.
Great, thanks for that Simon. So it seems Vauxhall never got involved in that side of things. Shame really, I wouldn't have minded owning a Vauxhall helmet, mind you, going by the 1978 Vauxhall Cavalier I owned in th 1980s it's probably just as well they never made them. :
Old 19-12-18, 08:20 AM

Here's quite a rarity although not overly visually impressive. Group Warden with the single diamond of Head Warden (O&T Memo No. 13), marked front and back. I've not seen a "GW" marked one before. It came via the Laidlaw Auction a week or so ago which appeared to be selling a huge collection of Aero and Blitz related bits based in Kent although I've not managed to find out who's collection it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6069.jpg (42.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 23-12-18, 10:58 AM

Default General Post Office

I've had this helmet for several years, I thought it would look good displayed with the wartime GPO combination I've been working on.

You often see black helmets with "GPO" painted on the front but I don't remember seeing another green one like this, I wondered if it could be for a Home Guard GPO Battalion, although the helmet itself was clearly made before the LDV started?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpo1.jpg (54.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg gpo2.jpg (35.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GLO 967.jpg (91.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GLO 967 2.jpg (94.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6068.jpg (115.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 23-12-18, 01:55 PM

I can't answer your question...but I've seen black, green/khaki AND grey shelled GPO helmets.......I'd be interested in the answer to your question.....however I can't help fearing that we're wasting our time looking for a deep and meaningful explanation.....more than one organisations instructions were "dark coloured helmet"....or "helmet colour as issued"......

Good luck!