British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-08, 02:54 PM

Default Seaforth "L" badge Pt.2

Hello all, remember the exchange we had a few weeks ago about the Seaforth cap badge? Well I knew that I would find something if I looked hard enough. Now this the proof that this badge was worn at some point. Now, I alredy hear some saying that the officer is not "regulations" because he is lacking other cloth badges but, hey this is better than nothing.
Jo

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3
Old 17-07-08, 04:15 PM

Default officers badge

As far as I know all officers wore the multi piece badge during the war.Its a completely different animal again to what we were talking about which was the white metal one piece L and coronet badge.A lot of these officers pieces are actually 4 separate pieces and are often jeweller made in sterling...the badge you've shown in the photos is definately a private purchase multi piece officers badge.
Old 17-07-08, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, As Mike said, the badge in the image is the officer's multi-piece pattern. If you look closely at the image it is at least a three piece and maybe even four piece badge. It also has "three dimensional" characteristics, note the antlers on the stag. The L /coronet pattern being discussed on the other thread was the flat type. (Though a couple of examples have been seen where the soldier removed the L and coronet and actually manipulated the antlers into a three dimensional form.)
Old 17-07-08, 05:00 PM

Thanks Michael and Bill. Well at least my post did go unnoticed.As for the "Canadian" Seaforth one piece badge, I remember seeing a photograph of an Seaforth officer (in kilt) wearing that badge some years ago in, all places, in the Fusiliers Mont-Royal Museum in Montreal. The officer was watching as the FMR parading when they returned from overseas and one could distinctly see the cap badge. I don't know if the photograph is still there since there was many changes made in the last few years.
Jo
Old 17-07-08, 05:08 PM

Default Officers badge

...on the Glengarry....this one is a 3 piece badge in silver. The Glengarry has been well and truly used but is complete .

Dwayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaforth.jpg (42.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 18-07-08, 01:42 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Some time ago I saw a picture of Lt. Col. Hoffmeister wearing the Pictou badge as I like to call it, The stag,s head with scroll only, when he was in command of the Seaforth's in Italy. Ray
Old 18-07-08, 02:07 AM

Ray, this the one with some others.
Jo
http://www.wvma.net/CommunityVoices/...antcolonel.htm
Old 18-07-08, 01:00 PM

Default Seaforth

Here is the 1923 General Order authorizing the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada badges. It is an amendment to the existing dress regulations. Please note that the General Orders, when authorizing badges, took a format that described the OFFICERS' badges. The OTHER RANKS' badges would usually be described as "...to be of the same design as for Officers but to be made of (brass/white metal etc).

GO 111/1923 15th July, 1923

Pages 62 and 63 Insert:-

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada”.

Badges as described hereunder are authorized:-

CAP BADGE

In silver, a stag’s head, with the letter “L” and a coronet, set between the antlers, the whole resting on a scroll bearing the Gaelic motto “CUILDRICH’N RIGH”.

COLLAR BADGE

In gilt, a Cougar, standing.
H.Q. 7-115-20 H.Q. 1961-26 P.C. 1249 of 10-7-23

This explains why the one piece "CORONET and L" badge exists. It was the badge that was authorized to be worn, hence it is the badge that the government paid for. It was not, however, the badge that was worn by the Imperial Seaforths (or the 231st Battalion CEF) and according to RH Roy's History of the Seaforth's, the Imperial badges were a gift from THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS.
Old 18-07-08, 01:14 PM

Default Officers badges and other ranks wearing them

Here is a picture of "some guy" I met ...despite not being an officer he was wearing the stags head silver badge without the cornet. Apparently he had been awarded some type of medal in 1944 ....nobody was going to question what he wore.

Dwayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smokey.jpg (57.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 18-07-08, 01:46 PM

Dwayne, that "guy" looks suspiciously like "Smokey" Smith who won the VC and died a year or two ago. So I guess no one's going to argue with a VC winner.
David
Old 18-07-08, 01:47 PM

Default Seaforth

In The Seaforth Highlanders (Imperials) and the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, Sergeants and Warrant Officers wore the two piece stag head and scroll. The three/four piece badge was worn by the RSM as well as officers.
In the case of Smoky Smith, he remained in the army after the war and his final rank was in fact Sergeant, so he would have been out of uniform if he did not wear the two piece cap badge.
One further note, when wearing the balmoral with battle dress, officers wore only the stag's head. This can be seen in many wartime photographs of the Seaforths.
Old 18-07-08, 01:50 PM

Can someone post a badge of the Seaforth OR's ,worn during WW2. Reason? I am not interested in officers badges, It was the OR's that did the job. (mainly) Sure they are nicer than the OR badges but then everything they had was nicer. Jo that may be the badge I saw Hoffmiester wear, can't remember but there was no L or coronet. Ray
Old 18-07-08, 03:01 PM

Hi Ray, glad you asked.Here are some pics of the Seaforth worn by OR's in the 2ndWW. By the way a question. To be original a british Seaforth badge must have three lugs then, why the canadian Seaforth has only two lugs ???????. Also Ray, nice catch with the 4th C L title. And see post No.7.
Jo

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public...total_items=1&

Last edited by Voltigeur; 18-07-08 at 03:13 PM. Reason: adding extra text.
Old 18-07-08, 07:05 PM

Sorry for the mix-up Ray. It's paulbear who got the 4th C L title.
Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 18-07-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Not a good day.
Old 18-07-08, 07:38 PM

Must have been, It wasn't me. Thanks Jo for the pic's I'm relieved , I don't have to buy a L & coronet badge after selling the one I had. Ray