British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-20, 01:02 PM

A little bit of a diversion from the main topic but the squadron parade photo prompted me to add this cloth badge to the mix. A bit tatty at the edges but still a very scarce UK-made formation sign. To be honest, Home guard items are not my main collecting focus and I did put this item up for sale a few years ago. Perhaps I should have targeted the US market. Cheers, Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg america.jpg (83.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-02-20, 01:14 PM

Again I’ve got no idea how many variants of these would exist but it looks significantly different to the one worn by C. Howard Crane in the colour photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6685FDAF-F275-44F6-9A1D-1B0343F6A6A2.jpg (47.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DCFDAEEC-C491-4DE5-9063-ABB9580CE8D9.jpg (38.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 13-02-20, 02:04 PM

Perhaps a better comparison could be made if we could see this chaps left arm. I would not know but there may be right and left facing pairs. Anyway, It looks pretty similar to me if the right/left arm argument were true. Maybe I just see what I want to see.
Except for the most senior officer I doubt whether there were many if any issued variants given the size and longevity of the unit.
Old 13-02-20, 02:25 PM

They’re very different. I suspect facing pairs would be worn but that the differences not so extreme.

Note the shape of the wings and especially the wing tips, the angle the laurel spray is held, the distinguishable eagles leg beyond on the feathers, the tail being considerably more rounded.
Old 13-02-20, 03:26 PM

Default Help

Can anyone give me a positive ID on this badge please? I have had it sitting in a draw for some years and was wondering if it is connected to this topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USA1.JPG (88.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg USA2.JPG (99.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 14-02-20, 12:11 AM

Unless I’m missing something it looks like a (very) broken US cap eagle missing its tail, both scrolls, the field of stars and a pin.