British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-20, 08:09 PM

Default ARP Badges

Ebay item : 362883064250
This ARP badge appears one of several sharing similar features which I am wondering about.
The stippled backs, slightly dished enamel and the pins all seem like those you see on later badges.
Where these type of badges ever produced genuinely later on for collectors etc to fill gaps? Am I just being over cautious and they are good ones?
There have been a few over the past weeks on Ebay.
Old 17-01-20, 08:41 PM

The seller Vongold is well known for selling a lot of fake items.

Check out his ebay name on here,

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-01-20, 08:47 PM

Certainly a seller to avoid, but, plenty of good and inexpensive ARP badges to be had elsewhere.
Old 17-01-20, 08:49 PM

Hi Simon and Frank
They wouldnt be my area for collecting but I didn't like the stippled back or that vibrant blue 'finish' .
Gary
Old 18-01-20, 10:51 AM

Mine neither, but, so diverse quite nice things really.
Old 19-01-20, 05:01 PM

Although I'm a bit confused by the verdegris on this badge and several others he is selling (perhaps it is just the way the badges have been stored), I'm 99.9% sure it's real, but the seller is so well known for selling dodgy items that he's shot himself in the foot by making you question genuine items when he sells them. Rather like MilitarytraderUK (and the other seller names he uses on ebay), even if I see something I'd be interested in, I refuse to buy off them on principle.

Last edited by ARPCDHG; 19-01-20 at 09:19 PM.
Old 19-01-20, 05:09 PM

A principle that does you credit, in my opinion, it is a shame more people do not profit from the example, these idiots would not be in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPCDHG View Post
Although I'm a bit confused by the verdegris on this badge and several others he is selling (perhaps it is just the way the badges have been stored), I'm 99.9% sure it's real, but the seller is so well known for selling dodgy items that he's shot himself in the foot by making you question genuine items when he sells them. Rather like MilitarytraderUK (and the other seller names he uses on ebay) I refuse to buy off them on principle.
Old 19-01-20, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPCDHG View Post
Although I'm a bit confused by the verdegris on this badge and several others he is selling (perhaps it is just the way the badges have been stored), I'm 99.9% sure it's real, but the seller is so well known for selling dodgy items that he's shot himself in the foot by making you question genuine items when he sells them. Rather like MilitarytraderUK (and the other seller names he uses on ebay) I refuse to buy off them on principle.
I think that the stippled back is very unusual for a 1940s badge, and that has been a feature on several that the seller has had over the past couple of weeks. As a handler of antique jewellery for a number of years with a passing interest in military, its not something I would expect to see, but new variants can always crop up and change that opinion and I have by no means seen everything out there