British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-14, 08:39 AM

I could tell a similar story Mike.

My son comes home on leave after serving in Afghanistan and he is assaulted in a pub. Police give him a crime number and don't even interview him.

2 weeks later I get a knock on the door to see 2 lots of armed officers wanting to see my sons gun collection. All inspected, all deactivation certificates in order and off they go. (I had to suffer bone questions like, why wont the working parts go backwards on this one-answer, because its been deactivated so that it can never be cocked. Nice to know the armed officers knew their stuff eh).

Like you say, we are an easy touch, real criminals are too hard to catch.
Old 18-09-14, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Now I see what you mean Mike.

Its a trifle compared to what's happened here in Rotherham. Can't follow up on 1400 youngsters being abused but yet can muster over 1000 Police for an EDL march?

Sometimes you just have to ask if we have the right priorities in our society. Man digs up a few ww2 artefacts and we get a massive response from the authorities, paedophile's spend 15 years abusing children 'on an industrial scale' and nothing is done (in fact its covered up).

?
It's been suggested that maybe it was covered up because there are others in high/key places involved 'on an industrial scale'

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 18-09-14, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute Old Smelly.

Having worked for that Council for 26 years I witnessed at first hand corruption, abuse of power, lies and back covering on many occasions.

I should add that whilst I didn't work in Children's Services I did work in the same over arching department and some of the 'players' mentioned were at some stage my bosses and councillors that I was answerable to for my day to day work.

SOME of the people at the top have resigned, its merely a matter of time before the rest are all brought to task (and not before time). Knowing how they work, they a/ won't go without a fight and b/ they will get a pocketful of money when they do go.

Ivan
Old 18-09-14, 09:20 AM

Oh and not to mention the Politically Correctness that was out of control so as not to offend 'certain members of the community'.
Old 18-09-14, 10:18 AM
Administrator

That recent parliamentary inquiry into the way the Cliff Richard investigation was handled and the media involvement showed that certain forces actively encourage the media for the benefit of the force, rather that just to keep the public informed. Perhaps the Militaria story is one of these cases.

I guess English Heritage or whoever it was must have some substantial evidence regarding illegal digging to get the police to issue a search warrant?
Old 18-09-14, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I actually have an excellent metal detector, but you can count on the fingers of one had the number of times I've been out with it in the last few years; and then it's just Crown Estate* local beaches, with permission. (On one beach you do find spent munitions - oops!)

*Forgot - I did have one inland site here in Northumberland, horse paddocks, land right next to a Pele Tower. I thought I'm going to find loads of ancient interesting stuff here - I found ONE musket ball!, which I gave to the landowner. You need the patience of Job for that metal detecting malarkey.
Old 18-09-14, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I might have a slight negative bias towards the police being a miner on strike for a year in 1984. Saw some things you see.

Sorry to hear that Mike ... I was also there, as a P.C. from Hampshire and yes, it was an eye-opener.

Ritchie.
Old 18-09-14, 10:58 AM

I have some sympathy for Police Officers and used to work quiet closely with them in my job in Rotherham but that sympathy has waned over recent times.

I have seen some outstanding work done by officers but I have also seen some awful things. Its no wonder we've had Hillsborough, Orgreave (miners strike) and the Rotherham Rotherham scandal.

South Yorkshire Police seem to have more than their fair share of things going badly wrong.
Old 18-09-14, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Mike ... I was also there, as a P.C. from Hampshire and yes, it was an eye-opener.

All water under the bridge now. I had just bought a house in the weeks before the strike started. Never made the first payment. Went in to see the manager (Halifax Building Society) and we both agreed it would be over in few weeks, then we'd get back to normal. Famous last words. Made the first payment a year later. Doubt the banks would be so forgiving today!
Old 18-09-14, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I actually have an excellent metal detector, but you can count on the fingers of one had the number of times I've been out with it in the last few years; and then it's just Crown Estate* local beaches, with permission. (On one beach you do find spent munitions - oops!)

*Forgot - I did have one inland site here in Northumberland, horse paddocks, land right next to a Pele Tower. I thought I'm going to find loads of ancient interesting stuff here - I found ONE musket ball!, which I gave to the landowner. You need the patience of Job for that metal detecting malarkey.
You should persevere Mike. Here's a sample of what we found the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05330.jpg (26.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05335.jpg (26.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05332.jpg (23.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05333.jpg (25.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 18-09-14, 11:48 AM

Badger123,
If that is what you found in a day then how many days would it have taken the bloke from St Albans to fill his garage?
Eddie
Old 18-09-14, 01:02 PM

I don't know but I have the advantage of working an old ww1 camp and its dump that turns up plenty of insignia.

Like these.

As I said earlier, most of the site has been developed and the rest will be soon. Fortunately the local museum will be putting them on display shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05141.jpg (69.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05142.jpg (51.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05144.jpg (47.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 18-09-14, 01:03 PM

As someone who has worked in the "heritage industry" for 35 odd years I applaud any convictions of this sort. I think that Ivan would agree with me too.

That 35 odd year experience has also told me that the press very often get things muddled !!!!!
Old 18-09-14, 01:59 PM

Wow, yer man certainly had a lot of gear. Mind you I don't see Eyetie POW's carrying many large calibre ordnance about with them so I suppose his artillery stuff is either already made safe or is PRAC, or if it's not his wife will be breathing a big sigh of relief.

Being honest I wouldn't be surprised if most of the stuff is handed back to him but that he gets prosecuted for pinching rusty belt buckles from the old POW camp.
Old 18-09-14, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
As someone who has worked in the "heritage industry" for 35 odd years I applaud any convictions of this sort. I think that Ivan would agree with me too.

That 35 odd year experience has also told me that the press very often get things muddled !!!!!
Yes I do agree, digging on Scheduled Monuments/heritage sites is asking for trouble but digging on the site of an old ordnance depot is inviting real trouble!

I also think the Portable Antiquities Scheme is not only a brilliant way of recording items found but encourages a responsible approach to this type of hobby.