British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-14, 01:49 PM

Default Investigation into "illegal" metal detecting for WW1 and WW2 artifacts

Just caught this on the BBC News - English Heritage, the Police and Army all involved with the investigation of illegal metal detecting... leading to the discover of a private museum in a garage! Although its clear from the video clip that not all items were sourced that way, given the near perfect condition of the cloth and leather items hanging on the door.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29238850
Old 17-09-14, 01:54 PM
Former Member

Quite a few Forum members reside in that Neck of the Woods, anyone not being posting lately!

Andy
Old 17-09-14, 02:51 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

So all those "battlefield" "relic" collectors will continue to advertise what they "find" anyway. There have been a few posts on this forum about "relic finds" - and I have always assumed that they (at least) recorded their finds. Shurely? (a private eye joke, not a mis-spelling...). Will be taking the metal detector to the Waterloo area soon..... See you there.
David
Old 17-09-14, 03:56 PM

I actually like the look of the museum, some nice items in there!

As for metal detecting, I admit to doing a bit now and again with my son and we've found some fantastic items that I've shown on here.

A few things are worth noting though.

1. We have permission to do what we do and we record what we've found.
2. The main site we have been exploring is being developed and will be lost forever within the next couple of years so what we recover is being saved.
3. Some of the items we have found will be on display at the local museum shortly so at least other people get to see them.
4. We would never even consider disturbing a protected site or a battlefield.
5. We would never consider selling any of the items for profit.
6. we have the common sense not to mess with anything that might go bang!

I do think its again another case of poor/inaccurate reporting though.

It may well be that the chap in question has been 'night hawking' but is there any proof or has he been found guilty before a trial takes place? He may well have weapons but it will be interesting to see how many of them are legal i.e. deactivated as these can quite easily be purchased within the law.

It appears that the presence of some explosives he has dug is the real cause for concern and lets be honest, anyone who messes around with old ordnance is asking for trouble one way or the other!
Old 17-09-14, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Interesting story and one to watch what the outcome is.

I would say it's potentially a police over reaction to an inert ordnance collection. Yes it looks dramatic, makes a good story for the BBC, but I assume the police officers concerned are not aware it's perfectly legal own inert ordnance as no one mentioned this possibility in the video? Most of what I could see there has certainly not come out of the ground either. Stuff like that is sold in auction rooms up and down the country on an almost daily basis.

Probably just part of "Militaria collectors are nutters" meme portrayed by the media when it suits them.

fancy some artillery shells?
Old 18-09-14, 06:46 AM

This from today's Torygraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ns-garage.html

Headline says 'collection ... may be blown up in a field if found to be unsafe'. Caption to the picture in the report says 'His entire collection was removed and destroyed in a controlled explosion'

Some over-reaction from the local plod and army here, I think.

Cheers to all

William
Old 18-09-14, 07:22 AM

Most plod have no idea when it comes to weapons/ordnance. A while back I had my weapons checked by a local supposed firearms officer. He looked at a bolt action rifle and asked 'Is this capable of firing in bursts?'

I'm sure the story has been hyped by the press, can't imagine that they'd destroy everything, perhaps just the iffy shells, or maybe old uniforms and badges are more unstable than we thought!
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 18-09-14, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Well we now know the Herts Police are vigilant in protecting public safety. Perhaps they could send a couple of officers up to Bradford to offer some advice?
Old 18-09-14, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Well we now know the Herts Police are vigilant in protecting public safety. Perhaps they could send a couple of officers up to Bradford to offer some advice?
Why, whats happened in Bradford????
Old 18-09-14, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure what this story is about now. Are they saying he's digging up large calibre live artillery shells on a WW2 POW camp in England?

I assume there has been a bomb disposal squad sent as a matter of urgency to the POW site this morning then?

What a crock.
Old 18-09-14, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Why, whats happened in Bradford????
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...e_in_Bradford/

and the 1,400 cases in Rotherham of course!
Old 18-09-14, 08:23 AM

Now I see what you mean Mike.

Its a trifle compared to what's happened here in Rotherham. Can't follow up on 1400 youngsters being abused but yet can muster over 1000 Police for an EDL march?

Sometimes you just have to ask if we have the right priorities in our society. Man digs up a few ww2 artefacts and we get a massive response from the authorities, paedophile's spend 15 years abusing children 'on an industrial scale' and nothing is done (in fact its covered up).

?
Old 18-09-14, 08:24 AM
Administrator

My point is the militaria man is a sitting duck. Difficult stuff they have a tendency to pass on. See link above.

I was assaulted on my doorstep in March 2013, nothing was done. Good for crime statistics though.
Old 18-09-14, 08:35 AM
Administrator

The situation in Rotherham is a national disgrace. Those up the chain of command in the police responsible for not acting have to be prosecuted. It's all just mind boggling that it was allowed to continue.
Old 18-09-14, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I might have a slight negative bias towards the police being a miner on strike for a year in 1984. Saw some things you see.