British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-08, 05:19 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default eyelets/lugs/blades

Hi, I have spoken several times, to various people about bronze badges and I have been helped on numerous occasions, by people like Malc, if what he has said is being disputed, does it mean that the badges I am now showing, are in fact all cap badges because they are the same size ??? I can not go on expressing my ignorance but each time I get something straight in my head, someone else comes along and confuses me again.A good pointer for sizes of collar badges, is Colin Churchill's History of the British Army Infantry Collar Badge on most bronze badges, the size is indicated and can not, IMO, be mistaken but who am I ???
Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1457.jpg (100.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1458.jpg (100.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1459.jpg (99.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1460.jpg (98.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1461.jpg (103.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (100.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-06-08, 05:28 PM

Dave,
You have posted 3 sets of cap badges with their respective collar badges.
Regardless of other posts - OSD cap badges have blades and collar badges have lugs. Keep this in mind and you won't go wrong.
STM.
Old 11-06-08, 05:33 PM

Dave,

My opinion is that you have there a few very nice cap and collar sets there. I wouldn't worry too much opinions tend to differ due to human nature and collecting experiences but I still believe blades for cap badges and loops for collars as a rule of thumb.

Luke
Old 11-06-08, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
I can not go on expressing my ignorance but each time I get something straight in my head, someone else comes along and confuses me again.
Dave.
Dave,
Youre not the only one

Malc/Luke,
thanks for taking a look - I thought it was probably a collar. I'll be on the look out for a badge with blades!

I'm going with cap - blades, collar loops/lugs (then hopefuly I can't go wrong Thanks for all the contributions.
Old 12-06-08, 01:26 PM

There seems to be some confusion with blades and lugs - They are NOT the same thing and never have been.
Below is an attempt at clarification.

1 - Official term - Unknown. (At Present).
Collectors term - Blades. (and less commonly as - 'Tangs')

2 - Official term - Loops.
Collectors term - Lugs.

3 - Official term - Vertical Shank.
Collector's term - Slider.

To clarify point 2, because of differences in type - If it needs a pin to secure it, it is a LOOP or a LUG, whichever one you are happiest to use.
The pictures below represent each of the 3 points above and are from left to right in that order.
And just to add, the terms 'Fixing eyes' and Fixing rings or eyelet's' are not collector's terms, they are used by ebay seller's who haven't got a bloody clue about cap badge collecting and are usually selling off a relative's collection.
STM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6008806.JPG (15.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg S6008807.jpg (17.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg S6008810.jpg (24.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 12-06-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 01:39 PM

Hi All,
Besides loops,lugs slider heres another version of fitting to an OSD Army Service Corps.
Regards
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASC OSD 3 pins front.jpg (53.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ASC OSD 3 pins back.jpg (55.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-06-08, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi All,
Besides loops,lugs slider heres another version of fitting to an OSD Army Service Corps.
Regards
Bantam
Yes, I have seen this type fitting before, namely on a Canadian Forestry Bn. badge. Is this some type fitting for Officer's badges or OR's?

CB
Old 12-06-08, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle tree maker View Post
There seems to be some confusion with blades and lugs - They are NOT the same thing and never have been.
Below is an attempt at clarification.

1 - Official term - Unknown. (At Present).
Collectors term - Blades. (and less commonly as - 'Tangs')
STM.
STM,

I understood blades to be the fixing for OSD cap badges having pointed ends whereas tangs have a rounded end and were the method of fixing present on WW2 economy plastic badges.

Luke
Old 12-06-08, 06:23 PM

To be honest Luke, I've always called both of these fittings (OSD + Plastic) - Blades. I personally don't know anyone who calls anything tang's - In order to try and be a bit 'factual' and not get caught out, I actually nicked part of KLR's post. . .
" I've also heard them referred to as tang's " from earlier in the thread
Oh well, another lesson learnt.
I remember the days when cap badge collecting seemed so much easier !
STM.
PS.
If I change it members won't understand what your post is about, so I'll leave it in.

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 12-06-08 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Word change: Post to thread.
Old 12-06-08, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Yes, I have seen this type fitting before, namely on a Canadian Forestry Bn. badge. Is this some type fitting for Officer's badges or OR's?

CB
Hi CB,
Badge in question is an Officers Service Dress.I have never seen that type of fixing on Other Ranks Badge.
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 12-06-08, 07:21 PM

I totally agree with Saddle Tree Maker on this point and do not understand where this reference to 'lugs' for 'blades' comes from. MHS or not, this is shear ignorance.
Further, I note the reference from Luke as to 'tangs' for WW2 plastic badges and have seen this utilised many times.
Come on, common sense can differentiate between the basics.

Last edited by 41st; 12-06-08 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-06-08, 08:30 PM

I have the same double bladed fixing on my Royal Military Academy OSD.

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File2760.jpg (35.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg File2759.jpg (22.0 KB, 11 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 12-06-08, 08:38 PM

Malc,

My uncle has an EviiR RE vols with those double blades, as you know I'm not 'that up' on all things OSD but I can't figure out the purpose of the double blades? were they intended to be fixed to the cap differently than standard single blades - if so how? and what were they worn on - standard cap (then why make double blades when single would suffice)?

I noticed that they tend to be slimmer than standard blades is this of any significance. I've also wondered if they were supposed to be splayed out like a butterfly pin for attachment.

Cheers for any info/help

Luke
Old 12-06-08, 08:46 PM

Default Oficer's badges

Interesting reading- can I add to the mix:
a) What about the use on the GS cap & beret by officers & OR's of badges with 'split-pin fittings' in lieu of those with sliders. The potential to lose badges when fitted with sliders brought this about I believe.
b) In 1915/15 the shortage of uniforms necessitated the wearing of whatever was available. I have seen photographic evidence of Northants Yeo troopers wearing the opposite facing collar badge as a cap badge. It wasn't that the negative had been reversed as the 'white horse' faced both ways on different Trooper's caps. The same probably happened with officers.
c) What about the use of the small RA Grenade Bakelite both as a head-dress badge and as a collar badge (albeit unofficially)
d) There are many examples of Officer's silver, gilt badges which have 'split-pin fittings' that are longer than the identical collar badge.
e) I am aware that when officer's badges broke or rankers were Commissioned in the field,whilst serving in remote theatres, OR's badges were pressed into service having been painted bronze. Why couldn't Officers have utilised spare collar dogs?

Something to chew over. Steve.
Old 12-06-08, 09:12 PM

Smile De Ja Vue'

I have a funny feeling i have contributed to this argument before somewhere else.... be that as it may!!
Attached is a pic of a 'sealed pattern' card in the QDG museum. The badge has loops, lugs, split pin fixings, eyelets, call them what you will. You can see from the original 1902 scribbling that it was used as both a cap and collar badge.
In fairness though, the Bays Officers very soon jettisonned that badge for one with blades, tangs, prangs!! and pretty soon after that (about the time of the Boer War) started wearing the smaller pattern badge in both cap and collar. The interesting thing is; if you inspect the Officers SD uniforms in the museum you will find collar badges in caps as well as collars and cap badges (with blades) in collars....
Very much like todays Officers, they pretty much did as they pleased.... and seemed to put in place whatever came to hand..... Don't die in a ditch on this subject boys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bays OSD with loops.jpg (48.1 KB, 17 views)