British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-08, 10:48 PM

Default F.N sliders

I recently obtained yet another example of a badge (Monmouthshire Regt.) with the FN slider, this time actually marked F.N B'HAM which is a first for me.
I have half a dozen other badges with that peculiar readily identifiable fat tapering slider as well.
Does anyone have any further info regarding F. Narbourough and if they produced badges during ww1, ww2 or both? Thanks,

CB
Old 13-07-08, 05:52 PM

Smile FN sliders

I believe FN were produced during WWII, some years ago I bought some from a dealer who thought they were restrikes.
Old 13-07-08, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I recently obtained yet another example of a badge (Monmouthshire Regt.) with the FN slider, this time actually marked F.N B'HAM which is a first for me.
I have half a dozen other badges with that peculiar readily identifiable fat tapering slider as well.
Does anyone have any further info regarding F. Narbourough and if they produced badges during ww1, ww2 or both? Thanks,

CB
CB,

Alan Owen's grandfather has a FN made RIR which can be stratified to WW2 as that's when it was collected. I think FN have been producing badges with their stereotypical slider earlier than WW2, certainly 30's but possibly significantly earlier. A good collecting friend and mentor of mine had an all brass SWB 1916 economy badge with an FN slider if I remember rightly, I'll ask.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 13-07-08, 09:36 PM

Thanks folks,
Luke, I (and surely others) would be very interested to find out if FN was indeed making badges as early as ww1 and if that economy badge you mentioned is what it purports to be, then badges with these sliders may possibly warrant a new look.

CB
Old 14-07-08, 07:51 AM

F Narborough are listed under Walking Stick Manufacturers and under Wheelwrights in the 1914 Birmingham Directory, but they are not in the section of Military and Naval Ornament Manufacturers.
Interestingly, I remember that F Starr of Putney were also listed as Walking Stick Manufacturers. It would be the expertise in the making of mounts garnitures etc that might have enabled them to switch or extend their business to making insignia - most likely as demand soared during the 1st World War.
Old 14-07-08, 12:30 PM

Default Fredrick Narborough

Fredrick Narborough was a Birmingham Jeweller who made "Sweetheart Brooches" from as early as 1900. I have in my collection a sweetheart made for an officer of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons hallmarked FN Birmingham 1902. If you check the excellent book "Military Sweethearts" by Pamela Caunt you will find several references to F.N. as they made brooches to many famous regiments. I dont know if they ever made cap badges, but its entirely possible that the company may have been involved in cap badge production in the latter part of WW1.

Hope you find this useful.

Cybershot.