British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-09, 09:17 PM

Default Scan.

Hi Clive, no problem, I had already scanned the entire photo at 1200dpi, the file is about 200Mb. I can mail it to you on disc if you like. I also sent you a couple email today to your "servicepub" address, did you get them?

Bill.
Old 19-04-09, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
Hi Clive, no problem, I had already scanned the entire photo at 1200dpi, the file is about 200Mb. I can mail it to you on disc if you like. I also sent you a couple email today to your "servicepub" address, did you get them?

Bill.
Hi Bill,
A mailed CD would be ideal. I am on leave next week and will be jhome for a few days. I will see if the e-mail(s) made it in.

Cheers,

Clive
Old 08-02-11, 11:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
'morning gents. Just one thing I noticed, nothing big. On the first photograph, first nco on the left,second row, M-1 WO 111 G.W. Weatherbie is shown/listed as being with the Essex R(T) and supposedly wearing a SALH badge but, his cap badge looks like RCA. Again, IMHO an impressive period photograph.
Jo
After doing a bit of research on my family history, thankfully I came across this forum. My name is Steven Weatherbie and I am G.W. Weatherbie's grandson. Unfortunately he died of leukemia in 1965, so I never got to meet him let alone thank him.

I've had to do much research in order to even begin to understand what many of this means. Such as Warrant Officer 3rd class, etc.

(whether or not it's true is unknown to me) but I was able to find this from wikipedia:

"From 1938, there was also a rank of Warrant Officer Class III (WOIII). The only appointments held by this rank were Platoon Sergeant Major, Troop Sergeant Major and Section Sergeant Major. The WOIII wore a crown on his lower sleeve (which is why all WOIIs switched to a crown in a wreath during this period). The rank was placed in suspension in 1940 and no new appointments were made, but it was never officially abolished."

Until I came across this photograph I was unaware that he had any involvement with Armoured vehicles so this was a VERY interesting find. I was told that my grandfather was a Regimental Sergeant Major, and also fought in Korea. He married my Nana in England and she was one of many war brides among the manifest of the RMS Queen Mary... In my travels, I was honored to finally set foot on the Queen Mary last year, in Long Beach Calfornia.

I also know that he was in a local military division known as the Essex / Kent Scottish, in Windsor Ontario Canada.

Aside from spilling my business over the internet to strangers, I'm in search of more records involving my grandfather. If anyone has access to this kind of information now or in the future, please keep me in mind, and drop me a line.
Old 06-06-11, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
1) I thought it was interesting that this well dressed corporal is wearing 7th Hussars badges, two years after they were amalgamated with the 11th Hussars!?

2-3) Details of a couple Three Rivers Regiment officers, the second is a well decorated WW1 veteran.

4-5) A couple fellows from the ontario Regiment (tank), one old sweat and a shiny new Captain.

No idea who these guys are in this photo (outside of Worthington, whom I easily recognize), the photo as I received it, was not named.
An interesting observation in the first detail image. (The one in which Bill notes the 7 Hussars badge.) At first glance, I thought the officer from the ALI Tank in front of the corporal was wearing a Scottish bonnet, but it is actually an armoured corps beret with a swatch of dicing behind the badge. The ALI Tank were granted the dress distinction of wearing a piece of dicing on the beret in 1938.
Old 04-10-11, 01:41 PM

Is that really an RCR capbadge on a black beret?....now I've seen everthing.
Old 28-04-12, 12:03 PM

Steve Weatherbie, your Grandfather joined the Essex Regiment (Tank) on 10 May, 1937 and his Regimental Number was ERT163 making him one of the early members of the Regiment. Interesting to note that a GD Weatherbie joined the Essex Tank on 23 June, 1938 with Regimental Number ERT421. Could be a brother or cousin.

Cheers,
John
Old 20-05-13, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge5020 View Post
Steve Weatherbie, your Grandfather joined the Essex Regiment (Tank) on 10 May, 1937 and his Regimental Number was ERT163 making him one of the early members of the Regiment. Interesting to note that a GD Weatherbie joined the Essex Tank on 23 June, 1938 with Regimental Number ERT421. Could be a brother or cousin.

Cheers,
John
Thank you VERY much for the information. I recently learned that WO III GW Weatherbie was my GREAT grandfather. GD Weatherbie (RN# ERT421) was my grandfather.
Old 23-01-14, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Bill A and Jo. Thnx. I will have to keep an eye out for these at shows or in private collections.
Bill Miller, any chance of a high-resolution scan of a couple of these guys wearing the ALI beret and forage caps? If you can scan at 1200DPI or better than I can re-size these to a decent size without losing detail.
Clive
Just saw this on ebay....and nobody has made any bid yet....BTW I have no connection whatsoever with the seller...if anyone is wondering....and no knowledge if said item is genuine/original....
Jo

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WWII-Canadian...item258879fafb

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-01-14, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

The vendor is a member here, and well known to many collectors in the Toronto area. He has been offering some beautiful and rare badges.
Old 23-01-14, 01:55 AM

...and this is one of them.Bill, I guess once in a lifetime opportunity.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.