British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-11, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Great pics Clive.Congratulations.Anymore unusual and unknown pics in your vault ?????
Jo
Only about 12,000
Old 09-08-11, 12:34 AM

OK then, when do you start showing them.......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-08-11, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
OK then, when do you start showing them.......
Jo
I do - in my books
Old 09-08-11, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello Al, There must be a hue and cry coming from Montreal right now. The Canadian Grenadier Guards are quite alive and well as part of the reserve army.
Hi Bill; sorry you are absolutely right. I was speaking of the bn based in Picton that was dropped fm the Canadian Army ORBAT. I think I must have been thinking of the Canadian Guards?
Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable members could clarify if Picton was indeed regarded as the 'guards depot'?

I knew a few Guards offrs early in my career. Some had served in Picton and had some great stories to tell. When I was G4 of 1 CDn DIV in 93, we had a Div HQ ex in the barracks in Picton. The barracks was very run down of course but walking around one could hear or should I say imagine the life the bn had in Picton?

My apologies if I have offended any ex Guards officers/soldiers.

Cheers Al
Old 09-08-11, 08:44 PM

Default Every Soldiers` Worst.....

soldier1:
The Canadian Guards Regimental Depot was located in Picton, and closed sometime after 1966, possibly 1967 or 1968.
All young recruits to the Guards during this time period would have been very familiar with that place!
It is quite possible that Clives` original photo was taken there, though the date of the photo is open to interpretation.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 09-08-11, 09:04 PM

The 4th Bn Canadian Guards served in Korea from April 1954 until November 1954 when the Canadian Government withdrew the 25th Brigade. On 31 March 1957 the 3rd and 4th Bns were disbanded and personnel were posted to the 1st and 2nd Bns or to the other infantry regiments, if they requested. In 1968 The Guards Depot, Petawawa, Ontario was disbanded on 3 June, The Guards Band, Petawawa, was disbanded on 1 October and the 1st Bn Canadian Guards, Picton, Ontario, was reducted to nil strength on 1 October. The 2nd Bn Canadian Guards, Petawawa, was reducted to nil strength on 6 July 1970 and The Regiment of Canadian Guards was transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle effective 5 July 1970.
Source;J.Haley/Army.ca Forum

....And a certain Bill A wrote this;
At the time the Guards were disbanded rumours swirled about. One of the lines often heard was that the "senior" Canadian infantry regiments, the RCR PPCLI QOR CGG GGFG and Black Watch, to name a few, were in a huff at the upstart Canandian Guards being "parachuted" in as the senior infantry regiment on the order of precedence in Canada‘s army. This unit without any battle honours or record of service was given seniority over some of Canada‘s most renowned regiments. The lobbying by these regiments was said to have had a role in the demise of the Guards. When the army was reduced in the late 1960‘s certain units had to go. The Guards in many ways were a "politcally" easy choice.
Source;Army.ca Forum

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 09-08-11, 09:15 PM

Default Canadian Guards, the beginnings.....1954 (for those interested)

http://www.canadianguards.ca/caterham.htm
in the first pic check the cap badges worn by the NCOs.....

The history of the CGs.
http://www.canadianguards.ca/

Old 09-08-11, 11:04 PM

Default Canadian Guards

By God some names there bring back memories Voltigeur. Ray Trowhill/Ian
Douglas/Al Ditter . Fond memories (I think) of young officers doing their thing in the very early 60s'. Thank you.

Cheers Al
Old 10-08-11, 04:07 AM

Default Every Soldiers` Worst......

Voltigeur:
Thanks for posting the info on the Canadian Guards later history. I stand corrected- 1st Bn Cdn Gds was in Picton, with Regimental Depot in Petawawa.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 11-08-11, 10:27 PM

I love the photos shown in this Guards thread! Thanks for posting!

Nice to the Canadian Guards they way they were back in the 1950's - 60's !!

Bryan
Old 14-08-11, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Please note several posts made after RCN's have been moved to a new string. Please see http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18586
Old 27-07-12, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CftD View Post
I rather suspect that this is a posed photograph for whatever reason and I can't understand why all five RSMs would be at the Guards Depot at the same time. No doubt those with greater knowledge of the Brigade will clarify. David
I agree completely. The soldiers cap is 100% Canadian, and sorry to say (esp to my Canuk mates!) those RSM's do NOT terrify the life out of me.
I'm ex Navy Combined Ops, so I had one particular Fleet Chief who's voice could make your blood turn ice cold at 100yrds and the dubious priviledge of RM RSM's at Poole Barracks. They had such intelligent methods for making you life a total misery you'd actually wish they'd rather punch your lights out!!! But oh no......filling sandbags, empying them 50yrds away, a 10 min break per hour and returning same sand in same bags all F***ing night.
Why I hear you ask! It got noticed at Poole that I'd managed to avoid a weekend duty by every means possible for TWO YEARS.......so the sand bags were "TO make up for it you coniving worm" and he had the nerve to grin like the Cheshire Cat when he said it, and I was stupid enough to laugh, because also in utter dumbness I thought he was joking!!! Oh boy was he NOT.....a month of Eagle Eyes on me followed.
Its a VERY old joke, but half the RM battle honours were won by marines who'd rather lose a leg than face a pissed off RSM!
So to finish I'd say this photo is very posed as any RSM or Fleet Chief I've met would rip that trooper apart. His cap looks like it just landed on his head by accident to start with!
And the boot polish....all bad from a British point of view...the reflection from a Brit RSM's boots would leave you with sun spots on your eyes!
Old 27-07-12, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post
I think you are right Paul. This a staged picture, probably early 60s. The cap in question was worn by recruits (incl OCdts). I wore one in Phase One OCP in 62.

Cheers Al
The "Buffalo Cap" wasn't just worn by recruits. I believe it was invisaged as a replacement for all other headdress with the '47 pattern battledress, they certainly saw a lot of service in Korea.

Regards,
BP
Old 27-07-12, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Clarification. This thread is about the CANADIAN GUARDS, and their dress and insignia. Drifting off a bit into other areas.
Old 27-07-12, 08:35 PM

Default Buffalo Cap

There were two types a summer issue vesrion for wear with the Bush Uniform and and wool winter version for wear with the 1949 Pattern BD Uniform. Some regiments wore berets but for the most part these two caps were pretty well universal throughout the Army during the 1950s and early 1960s.