British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-16, 10:20 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
I normally say that a good song will shine through regardless of listening environment.
I have friends with £8000 record players which makes me wonder if it's the music enjoyment that's important or the gear!
That said, sometimes the full impact of a mix with all it's subtleties can only be appreciated on good gear.
Case in point: Kate Bush "Hounds Of Love"; brilliant songwriting, high level of musicianship throughout, great vocal performances, epic lyrics.
All this can be appreciated on even the simplest of stereos. But listen to the re-mastered cd a on high-end stereo or quality headphones and a whole new dimension emerges. An incredible sonic landscape which takes the music to a new level. Eargasmic.
I absolutely agree! As for Kate Bush, I always admired how she could sing live and do quite complicated dance routines simultaneously....and she still has it!
Don't think I could ever reach to the heady heights of £8000 for a record deck. I thought I was really splashing out when I bought a Cyrus amp! (Worth every penny)..... You see your CD collection in a totally new light.
Old 21-01-16, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
...... takes the music to a new level. Eargasmic.

Well, if nothing else, I have certainly learned some new words(& groups I have never heard of!) within this topic - ---Orgasmic I know & am familiar with, but Eargasmic is a new one to me!!!!

Bryan
Old 21-01-16, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I absolutely agree! As for Kate Bush, I always admired how she could sing live and do quite complicated dance routines simultaneously....and she still has it!
Don't think I could ever reach to the heady heights of £8000 for a record deck. I thought I was really splashing out when I bought a Cyrus amp! (Worth every penny)..... You see your CD collection in a totally new light.
Cyrus amps are great! Much better than my current Cambridge Audio and Yamaha amp setups I might go for a Cyrus next time round.
As for Kate Bush, she just did a number of shows and delivered 100%! Very impressive.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"

Last edited by ubervamp; 22-01-16 at 12:14 AM.
Old 21-01-16, 11:43 PM

Default First single & first album

Now that we've set off down this avenue, I've been trying to work out which single was my first. I think it was "Merry Xmas Everyone" as in my infancy, I was really into Glam Rock & loved Slade, T Rex, Gary Glitter & Suzi Quatro.

My first album was definitely "Into The Gap" & I played it pretty much non stop.

As for Beatles or Stones, it's Stones all the way. I love "Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women" & "Paint It Black".
Old 22-01-16, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The Goons were Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers, with writing input from Michael Bentine and Eric Sykes. ******* I cannot believe "The Goon Show" never made it to Canada!!.
Hoot, I'm pretty sure they were broadcast in Canada. I seem to recall seeing a show and my old man giving me chapter and verse about them (Unless they had another TV show after "the Goon Show" and that was televised in Canada).

First album was Led Zeppelin III, followed soon after by Rare Earth and (blush) Neal Diamond. And it's been all over the map since then.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 22-01-16, 08:16 AM

I was just thinking I'm surprised Led Zep haven't come up as well, bloody love 'em, their music is sex on a stick
Old 23-01-16, 12:42 AM

I see ABBA are having some sort of reunion in connection with a restaurant opening.
I bet they thanks their lucky stars every day that their first names weren't Casper, Rita, Anders and Pernille.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 23-01-16, 03:58 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Although I agree with your sentiments to a certain degree, I do have to note one thing about ABBA. A friend of mine used to earn a few pence by running discos for weddings and what might be described as 'middle of the road functions'. He always used to say that when the pace was slowing and no one was on the dance floor, he used to put 'Dancing Queen' on the turntable......everytime the floor was filled in under 30 seconds.....name me another tune that can do that (besides some of the sixties stuff).
Old 23-01-16, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Although I agree with your sentiments to a certain degree, I do have to note one thing about ABBA. A friend of mine used to earn a few pence by running discos for weddings and what might be described as 'middle of the road functions'. He always used to say that when the pace was slowing and no one was on the dance floor, he used to put 'Dancing Queen' on the turntable......everytime the floor was filled in under 30 seconds.....name me another tune that can do that (besides some of the sixties stuff).
James

I wasn't dissing ABBA, just making an observation that they were lucky with their first names when choosing a band name (Agnethe, Benny, Bjørn and Annfrid)
Any other combo might have been less fortunate!

Cheers

Old 23-01-16, 04:27 PM

We've had no youtube links put up for a while, who's going to do the honours? everytime I go to put a link up I realise the video might not be deemed suitable, doesn't say much for my tastes does it!
Old 23-01-16, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
We've had no youtube links put up for a while, who's going to do the honours? everytime I go to put a link up I realise the video might not be deemed suitable, doesn't say much for my tastes does it!
Ok, one of my favourite Joy Division https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_JUYyutTM

Moving on a few years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHrAjj4s0CU

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-10-17 at 07:46 PM. Reason: update link
Old 23-01-16, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Ok, one of my favourite Joy Division https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_JUYyutTM

Moving on a few years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpe8h9al7U
Aah just brilliant Shadowplay is my absolute favourite Joy Div track. This makes me very happy
Old 23-01-16, 05:10 PM

I see your Joy Div and New Order and raise you a classic The Clash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk

and a stonking Blondie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKVS0eI85I
Old 23-01-16, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Aah just brilliant Shadowplay is my absolute favourite Joy Div track. This makes me very happy
I often wonder what would have happened if Curtis hadn't chosen to end his life that day.

Although excellent, New Order where not the same. Of course, that was never the intention.

Have you seen the film control? If not, I would recommend it. I would also recommend "24 hour party people". I would have loved to have visited The Hacienda in it's early days.......... I was a bit to young though
Old 23-01-16, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I see your Joy Div and New Order and raise you a classic The Clash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk

and a stonking Blondie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKVS0eI85I
Love Blondie