British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-16, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Coldplay. I cannot be the only oldie who likes them.....or am I getting trendy (desperate / sad??? ) in my old age?
James

I like Coldplay, too. Especially Viva La Vida from 2008.
One interesting thing is the album mix. It was mixed by Andy Wallace, who has done mostly metal previously. I always said, that it would be interesting to hear a pop/rock album mixed by someone coming from a metal background, and finally my wish came true on this album!
He gave them a heavier, more sombre sound; very lush, but still distinctive.
If you listen to it on a high quality system it really comes into it's own. It sounds amazing

Oh, and the songs are good, too

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 21-01-16, 08:57 PM

Well, guys and girls

We're at page 10 and 136 post so far on this thread after only 4 days. That must be a record? (No pun intended)!

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 21-01-16, 09:06 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

The thing that sets any band apart is their ability to play live.....Coldplay have taken a lot of flack but they are superb live and many of their lyrics are thought provoking. I watched their live performance in Japan on BBC television last year and they held the crowd enthralled.They also receive a bit of flack for trying to be controversial......but did not the Who, Stones etc push boundaries ? It is nice when a band or solo artist can really perform live. You may like Streisand, or you may not, but she has a powerful voice and is superb live.....same With Amy Winehouse, Frank Sinatra...and one of the pleasures of older age is being able to appreciate music from many decades. I shall always remember the amazed look from my daughter as I bought CDs of Verve, Coldplay, Ella FitzGerald, Hendrix and Goldfrapp in a music shop......she is getting to understand as she gets older.....though she still cannot comprehend my love of Fairport Convention & Sandy Denny...and I forgot to say, you are quite correct about listening to that Coldplay album on a class system...amazing!

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 21-01-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 21-01-16, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Well, guys and girls

We're at page 10 and 136 post so far on this thread after only 4 days. That must be a record? (No pun intended)!
Woop woop! it's been very enlightening
Old 21-01-16, 09:11 PM

Default The Ying-Tong Song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Amber rum, straight up with a dash of lemon works better for me Hoot!
Never heard of 'em or the song, am I missing something?

Bry
The Goons were Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers, with writing input from Michael Bentine and Eric Sykes. They were a bunch of comedians who were extremely popular with many from the early 1950s onward and they influenced the likes of the Monty Python team and many others. They were not to everyone's taste but they have never been surpassed in my opinion. I cannot believe "The Goon Show" never made it to Canada!!.
Old 21-01-16, 09:17 PM

OK its at this point and with absolutely no digs at anyone, cos live and let live, I have to declare something that everyone who knows me in real life knows and thinks is hilarious cos I get very animated about it, I loath, detest, abhor cannot even begin to explain how very deeply I hate Coldplay, they just make me want to break things. I can't even be rational about it. I just arrgggeerrrrrrr

It's ok, I'm fine.
Old 21-01-16, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
OK its at this point and with absolutely no digs at anyone, cos live and let live, I have to declare something that everyone who knows me in real life knows and thinks is hilarious cos I get very animated about it, I loath, detest, abhor cannot even begin to explain how very deeply I hate Coldplay, they just make me want to break things. I can't even be rational about it. I just arrgggeerrrrrrr

It's ok, I'm fine.
Don't hold back there....say it as it is. Let it all wash over you. Obviously, you need a high grade system to understand
Old 21-01-16, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Don't hold back there....say it as it is. Let it all wash over you. Obviously, you need a high grade system to understand
Sorry they make me go into beserker mode, the red mist descends and I lose control

I got mugged once at knifepoint and the mugger came off worse, I had to be "persuaded" to let go of him. Coldplay makes me angrier!
Old 21-01-16, 09:29 PM

I feel much the same about the Chipmunks!!......particularly Alvin.
Old 21-01-16, 09:34 PM

Oh yeah they are annoying. Bloody rodents.
Old 21-01-16, 09:37 PM

Quote:

It's ok, I'm fine.
I feel that way about the old crooners like Andy Williams and the like. Just can't get my head round that dreary tedious rubbish, give me Chas'n' Dave any day!! By the way, the first record I ever bought was the Stones "I Wanna Be Your Man", their second chart entry, absolutely superb!!.
Old 21-01-16, 09:43 PM

Very cool first record, surprised the Stones haven't come up more on this thread.
Old 21-01-16, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Very cool first record, surprised the Stones haven't come up more on this thread.
Beatles or Stones?
Beatles all the way for me

Old 21-01-16, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I normally say that a good song will shine through regardless of listening environment.
I have friends with £8000 record players which makes me wonder if it's the music enjoyment that's important or the gear!
That said, sometimes the full impact of a mix with all it's subtleties can only be appreciated on good gear.
Case in point: Kate Bush "Hounds Of Love"; brilliant songwriting, high level of musicianship throughout, great vocal performances, epic lyrics.
All this can be appreciated on even the simplest of stereos. But listen to the re-mastered cd a on high-end stereo or quality headphones and a whole new dimension emerges. An incredible sonic landscape which takes the music to a new level. Eargasmic.

Last edited by ubervamp; 21-01-16 at 10:13 PM.
Old 21-01-16, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Beatles or Stones?
Beatles all the way for me
Oooh that's tough, really tough call. On New Years day when a bulk of The Beatles back catalogue was released to download I must have spent all of that day and the subsequent week completely immersed. But my heart is saying Stones, yeah I think I'm going to have go Stones. Should I be ducking and putting one of my helmets on?! On that note I bid you all adieu until tomorrow.

Should do a poll Colin, Beatles or Stones.