British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-16, 02:35 PM

Its Sailor by your woman Clark, it's 'orrible
Old 21-01-16, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Its blocked(copyright restrictions) for me in Canada mate - just give me the song & I will check it out...
Bry
Maybe it is blocked for reasons of taste?

Anyway, check out "Sailor", 1961.
Old 21-01-16, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
AAaargh dear god my ears!, make it stop!! right enough of this woman and all this hopeless romanticism, I need to listen to some Sex Pistols to recuperate.....
It turns out to be a cover of an original German song - "Seemann, deine Heimat ist das Meer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8MjverT64

So, they do have a sense of humour after all.
Old 21-01-16, 02:59 PM

Never mind sailors, what about soldiers, this is what I sing to my Action Man Bill.

I don't really. Or do I?......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYw83uAQig
Old 21-01-16, 04:13 PM

Default A Great War Anecdote

Still very much on the subject of music albeit several generations before the contemporary genre. I recall having a good laugh when first reading this, as no doubt did the 'Tommies' and 'Jocks' involved at the time.

During the early stages of the War on the Western Front several units of English and Scots soldiers were having a merry time in a French inn, lustily taking turns at singing all sorts of singalong numbers. When things quietened down, an English soldier shouted out to the Scots group for someone to give them "Where's Me Fourpence, Charlie?" At first this caused quite a bit of consternation as no one knew this song, until eventually a Scotsman ventured that the song was most probably "Waur's Me For Prince Charlie".
Old 21-01-16, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The best cure when you're feeling low just has to be The Goons doing the Ying-Tong Song.
And I am sure that there will be no disagreement that the best cure obviating use of a laxative would be listening to Tiny Tim's rendition of "Tiptoe Through The Tulips".
Old 21-01-16, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
The modern crap cannot even begin to match up against those old classics!
LOL I bet your parents said that about your music! I know I say something similar to the children at home and at work!

I was brought up listening to my parents music from the 50's and 60's and I love it! I am lucky to have a lot of their original records, but I must admit, I haven't played them for a long time.

The other day I heard "Save all your Kisses" by Brotherhood of Man (1976). some might say it is a bit tacky, but for me, it reminds me of my childhood

So, come on....... what was the first record you bought? For me, it was "Maid of Orleans" by OMD and "Oh Julie" by Shakin Stevens (I had a girlfriend called Julie at the time )
Old 21-01-16, 06:15 PM

Well if we're doing first records nobody is allowed to try and be cool, tell the truth!

First singles I bought were Thompson Twins-Hold Me Now, and Billy Joel-Uptown Girl
I was young.

BTW Maid Of Orleans is good better than bleedin' Billy Joel
Old 21-01-16, 06:54 PM

My first single was Lynsey de Paul & Mike Moran's Rock Bottom, which I played over and over and over til my parents hid it from me..

The first LP was KISS Love Gun.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 21-01-16, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post

So, come on....... what was the first record you bought? For me, it was "Maid of Orleans" by OMD and "Oh Julie" by Shakin Stevens (I had a girlfriend called Julie at the time )
Coincidentally I was listening to OMD just the other day, and Main of Orleans amongst others.
Still sounds good today, IMO. Great production.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 21-01-16, 07:00 PM

Speaking for myself, I grew up on the fringes of what our older brothers would be immersed in - James Dean, motorbikes, rock'n'roll, young Elvis, Little Richard, juke boxes and all that went with that scene until we (aka I) came of age in the sixties. I feel blessed having lived in that era although I would not have been averse to a little more funds. There was no time to settle down to a single music preference - songs and groups and creeds were sprouting up all over the place. It could rightly be termed a teens Golden Age where folk and protest came into its own and we were more or less finally emancipated.
I can't recall what my first album was, perhaps an early Stones one. I also recall at more or less the same time adding "Eve of Destruction" (Barry MacGuire) and "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" (Jonathan King). Then we would move on as we were inundated with more iconic songs and films until our transition into maturity, but always retaining nostalgia for the Sixties!
Old 21-01-16, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
"Eve of Destruction" (Barry MacGuire)
A superb and powerful song! From what I am led to believe, the version (McGuire) of the song that was released, was not the finished one. It was obtained and played by a radio station......
Old 21-01-16, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
A superb and powerful song! From what I am led to believe, the version (McGuire) of the song that was released, was not the finished one. It was obtained and played by a radio station......
Yes, you're right. It was pre-empted
Old 21-01-16, 08:09 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I never really moved on from Lonnie Donegan's 'Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight' !
I had a deprived childhood.
Old 21-01-16, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I never really moved on from Lonnie Donegan's 'Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight' !
I had a deprived childhood.
How sad, in more ways than one.