British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-16, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Another classic from that "Summer of Love"......

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
but the crowd called out for more......

Its one of my constant favourites & I have it on regularly......

Bryan
Oh yes absolutely! total classic. God knows what they were singing about though!
Old 20-01-16, 01:20 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Another classic from that "Summer of Love"......

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
but the crowd called out for more......

Its one of my constant favourites & I have it on regularly......

Bryan
One of my favourites too.........but I really do wish that someone could explain what it means?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Coldplay. I cannot be the only oldie who likes them.....or am I getting trendy (desperate / sad??? ) in my old age?
Old 20-01-16, 01:36 PM

Default Whiter Shade Pale

Hi Charlie:

Keith Reid got the title and starting point for the song at a party. He overheard someone at the party saying to a woman, "You've turned a whiter shade of pale," and the phrase stuck in his mind.The original lyrics had four verses, of which only two are heard on the original recording. The third verse has been heard in live performances by Procol Harum, and more seldom also the fourth. The author of Procol Harum: beyond the pale, Claes Johansen, suggests that the song "deals in metaphorical form with a male/female relationship which after some negotiation ends in a sexual act." This is supported by Tim de Lisle in Lives of the Great Songs, who remarks that the lyrics concern a drunken seduction, which is described through references to sex as a form of travel, usually nautical, using mythical and literary journeys. Other observers have also commented that the lyrics concern a sexual relationship.

Structurally and thematically, the song is unusual in many respects. While the recorded version is 4:03 long, it is composed of only two verses, each with chorus. The piece is also more instrument-driven than most songs of the period, and with a much looser rhyme scheme. Its unusually allusive and referential lyrics are much more complex than most lyrics of the time. Thus, this piece can be considered an early example of progressive rock.

The phrase a whiter shade of pale has since gained widespread use in the English language, noticed by several dictionaries. As such, the phrase is today often used in contexts independent of any consideration of the song. It has also been heavily paraphrased, in forms like "an Xer shade of Y", to the extent that it has been recognised as a snowclone Рa type of clich̩ and phrasal template.
Old 20-01-16, 01:42 PM

Thank you. I really do appreciate you taking the time to post that. Impressive stuff and very interesting too.
Old 20-01-16, 04:35 PM

For nostalgia it's hard to beat Richard Harris's 'Macarthur Park':

"Someone left the cake out in the rain..."

There are some beautiful vocals in this piece, reminiscent of lost love - which is the subject of a helluva lot of songs.
Old 20-01-16, 05:10 PM

Don't think there would be many songs written if not for love, or lost love, or unrequited love
Old 20-01-16, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Don't think there would be many songs written if not for love, or lost love, or unrequited love
What about Cream's track on one of their albums 'My Baby has gone down the plug hole'.......a classic if ever there was!
Old 20-01-16, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
What about Cream's track on one of their albums 'My Baby has gone down the plug hole'.......a classic if ever there was!
HA-HA-HA
Old 20-01-16, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Well I did say there wouldn't be many left, not none! And it kind of is about love, a mother lamenting the loss of her beloved baby down the plughole

It's like Les Miserables-everything is about love

Oh dear things got weirder
Old 20-01-16, 05:59 PM

Yes, but come on, "a classic if ever there was one".!!!

Changing the subject a bit, I wonder if anyone has ever heard of an Italian song (apologies, but living a doorstep away from Italy left a musical influence here and we were blessed with 3 Hit Parades - Britain, USA and Italy) concerning an incident of the Second World War during the Anzio Landings. The lyrics are Italian but the music is very martial.
It concerns a true story of a little 5-year old orphan girl who was adopted as a mascot by a platoon of Royal Scots Fusiliers (should interest you Alli). Anyhow, to cut a long story short, the Scots Fusiliers were fighting inland and the child was playing with seashells in the trench that was a sort of 'home from home' for her and stumbled upon a German grenade and blew herself up. When the platoon got back, an RSF, Christopher S. Hayes, took it upon himself to locate her remains and provide a decent burial. 20 years later a monument to Angelica of Anzio was erected. (Actually her name is Angelita)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72aiSjpPMM

Last edited by GTB; 20-01-16 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Correction of name
Old 20-01-16, 06:16 PM

Oh god that's terribly sad, thanks for sharing though, hadn't heard that before will have to read a bit more about it.
Old 20-01-16, 09:02 PM

https://youtu.be/EqFoqtpUFY8

Don't suppose there are too many Motorhead fans here. But give this a go.

1916. Written and performed by Lemmy.

Last edited by graham; 20-01-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 20-01-16, 09:21 PM

I think there are a few more than you realise, at least 2 more of us!

Yeah its a bit of a heartbreaker that one isn't it?
Old 20-01-16, 09:48 PM

What about Lynyrd Skynyrd fans ?
My favourite band since the 70s. Finally saw them last year at the Hammersmith Odeon [Apollo].

My Hawkwind, Motorhead days are pretty much behind me. Don't listen to much these days [radio 2] But occasional Warren Zevon, Steve Earl.

Graham.
Old 21-01-16, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
What about Lynyrd Skynyrd fans ?
My favourite band since the 70s. Finally saw them last year at the Hammersmith Odeon [Apollo].

My Hawkwind, Motorhead days are pretty much behind me. Don't listen to much these days [radio 2] But occasional Warren Zevon, Steve Earl.

Graham.
Oh blimey, Freebird that's another one that always makes me cry, such a bloody girl