British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-20, 10:18 PM

Default AAC Shoulder Titles?

Hi all, can anyone out there tell me if the Army Air Corps do or ever did wear staybright or brass shoulder titles?

Regards

Tony
Old 06-06-20, 06:59 AM

Tony, I think I may have seen A/A titles for sale but not seen worn.
Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-06-20, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Tony, I think I may have seen A/A titles for sale but not seen worn.
Jerry.
Cheers Jerry, I've searched all over but cant find any and have never seen any being worn, not even during my own (admitedly) short period of service with the AAC. Which I find strange as during my military service during the 1980-90's pretty much everyone wore A/A or blackend/bronze shoulder titles on woolly pully's or No 2 shirts in barrack dress and in some regiments on No 2 tunics.

Tony
Old 06-06-20, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Cheers Jerry, I've searched all over but cant find any and have never seen any being worn, not even during my own (admitedly) short period of service with the AAC. Which I find strange as during my military service during the 1980-90's pretty much everyone wore A/A or blackend/bronze shoulder titles on woolly pully's or No 2 shirts in barrack dress and in some regiments on No 2 tunics.

Tony
How odd Tony, I was never issued any Royal Signals titles,never saw any being worn either. They definitely weren't down as issue items in my clothing book either.
Later when serving in the RE,the same again, never wore any ,wasnt issued any.
A friend who was in the RA left Woolwich with his issued anodised pair and on reaching his Regt was ordered to go any buy a brass pair of totally different size.

There are definitely AAC anodised shoulder titles. Made in gold anodised.
Old 06-06-20, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
How odd Tony, I was never issued any Royal Signals titles,never saw any being worn either. They definitely weren't down as issue items in my clothing book either.
Later when serving in the RE,the same again, never wore any ,wasnt issued any.
A friend who was in the RA left Woolwich with his issued anodised pair and on reaching his Regt was ordered to go any buy a brass pair of totally different size.

There are definitely AAC anodised shoulder titles. Made in gold anodised.
Hi Mike, thats interesting as I was issued A/A Royal Sigs shoulder titles in 1986! I was never issued metal PWRR or MPGS titles but they did/do exists and have seen them but I was only ever issued woven epaulette slides.

Tony
Old 06-06-20, 11:30 AM

AAC shoulder titles exist in gold anodised and are listed in JSP768.

However, wearing anodised shoulder titles varies in Regiments and Corps. In some case worn only on No2 Dress, in other cases only on the Jersey Heavy Wool or in shirt sleeve order. Some titles are/were worn on No6 Warm Weather Dress.
Then there is the whim of a new Commanding Officer to consider and the individual soldier Extra Regimentally Employed and away from his own RSM!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC shoulder title.jpg (41.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 06-06-20 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-06-20, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

The a/a Royal Signals are worn on ORs' Tropical No6 dress. An awful outfit and rarely worn even in Cyprus and certainly not in the UK.

They were also worn on Officers' Guernsey jumpers including the burgundy ones uniquely worn by 200 Sig Sqn WO's and Officer in the late '80s and early '90s. Very much an individual Sqn thing and 204 Sqn had a dusty khaki one in the early 2000's.
Old 06-06-20, 02:30 PM

Default ACC

When I was in the TA as RA shoulder titles were issued but could not be worn until passing out.
Old 06-06-20, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The a/a Royal Signals are worn on ORs' Tropical No6 dress. An awful outfit and rarely worn even in Cyprus and certainly not in the UK.

They were also worn on Officers' Guernsey jumpers including the burgundy ones uniquely worn by 200 Sig Sqn WO's and Officer in the late '80s and early '90s. Very much an individual Sqn thing and 204 Sqn had a dusty khaki one in the early 2000's.
I was issued a pair in 1986 but never wore them, was told they were to wear on No2 shirt, worn with lightweight trousers but nobody bothered, just wore R Sigs epaulette slides on jumper and nothing on No 2 shirt.