British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-17, 04:20 PM

Default Rank Insignia - Senior Officers (Irish Police and Army equivalents)

I'm looking for some advice on sourcing, and identifying, rank insignia for police officers at the level of Lt-Colonel and above, circa 1890-1920 period only.
Both service and full dress versions.

My specific interest is in the old Irish police (pre-1922). I want to put together representations for a County Inspector (equivalent rank Lieut-Colonel in the army), in Full Dress. The service dress and full dress would look like these:

Crown 1 Star by Peter Mc, on FlickrFull Dress 2 by Peter Mc, on Flickr

Question 1 - has anyone seen a similar Full Dress Crown and Star? Would these be normal British Army pattern? (I would imagine that the full dress star would have a shamrock pattern rather than the 3 crowns).

Similarly, an Assistant Inspector-General (equivalent rank Colonel in the Army) wore a Crown over 2 Stars.

AIG Crown 2 Stars by Peter Mc, on FlickrWaters10 by Peter Mc, on Flickr

Question 2 - Are these embroidered rank badges a common pattern?

Finally, the police ranks of Deputy Inspector-General and Inspector-General wore the rank badges of a Major-General and Lieutenant-General in the Army.

Question 3 - what was the exact pattern of crossed sword and baton worn during this period, as both service and full dress? Can anyone supply an image of these?

I recently sourced a full dress rank star (WW1 period) which I am happy with, it seems fairly similar to the 'Colonels' stars above but differs to the 'Lt-Colonels'.

Col Rank No1 Dress Star WW1 by Peter Mc, on Flickr

Any help appreciated.