British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-18, 11:26 AM

Default How do people catalog their collections

Hi All,

The title says it all really.

I have been trying to put all the badges I have into an excel spreadsheet but have decided it's probably not the right tool for the job.

What does everyone else do / use?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 22-01-18, 12:53 PM

I too tried Excel but it didn't play nicely with images, especially when I applied filters. Was good for totalling up what I had spent though (which was a mixed blessing )

I've also tried Word whch works much better with images but is hopeless at adding up...

A database is probably the best way to go but have yet to try one. I have a feeling one of the forum members developed one, can't remember the details but should be searchable.

I guess it also depends on the amount of info you are looking to capture.
Old 22-01-18, 01:08 PM

Thanks a lot.

I only have a couple hundred at the moment but am at the point where I want to add photos before it becomes too big a job.

I did try a quick search but I suppose if I haven't looked for the same key word .....

I'll have another look.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 22-01-18, 01:32 PM

Here are two links to earlier threads:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=17385

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=46504&page=2
Old 22-01-18, 01:48 PM

That's great, I'll download a copy tonight and give it a go.

Thanks very much.

Michael
Old 22-01-18, 01:56 PM

I have 3 different systems running in parallel.

1.) I have 57 pages of A4 typed list showing every uniform/helmet/hat/belt/piece of equipment/bag full of badges/frames of badges/ prints/medals/other ephemaria etc
2.) Photographs of the most important bags of badges laid out on the floor, photographed from above and manually amended until the photo is illegible and needs re-taking. Said photographs reside in a dozen 6x4" photo albums
3). A folder of "Wants lists" in word software showing lists of Regiments (typically the 64 numbered Regiments of Foot that survived to WW2) and desired items, so the list of Regts on the left, followed by columns for cap badges as silver-gilt/OSD/brass or collar dogs or shoulder-titles or whatever. Also applicable to WW2 Cavalry or Modern units.

This replaced my first system, which was to carry a pile of reference books around and just tick-off the ones I'd got. Eg Brag & Turner "Para wings of the World", or Rossignoli's similar badge books. This was when I was young, fit and stupid - couldn't do it now.

Copy of first few lines of current version of 1);

UNIFORMS; SF/ Non SF, HEADRESS; SF/NonSF, HELMETS, EQUIPMENT, BELTS, BADGES INSIGNIA, EPHEMERA - UK, RHOD, US, SA, ROW, CCF
as at 22nd Jan 2018 (updated since 21st June 1993) °= photo in books

BRITISH

SF Uniforms:
SBS C/Sgt Lovats inc Jkt, Trous, Shirt, Sash, Belt, Gloves
SAS Mess Dress Capt°
SAS/DERR Mess Dress Sgt Parker°
SAS No 1 Dress Mjr°

I'll try to add photos of 2) and 3) when I get home. Copies of 3) can be e-mailed to interested parties if required?

Eventually I can see me having the entire list on an iPad or something, but it'd take forever to get it on there and pictures keep getting spun round. Perhaps when I retire properly??

Ian H

Last edited by ianh67military; 22-01-18 at 10:14 PM. Reason: ammended to say I have now attached a more comprehensive answer + photos below.
Old 22-01-18, 03:03 PM

Hi Michael,

An interesting question.

For the most part I have a simple spread sheet on my computer for most of my collections. However when I started my Militia Button collection I decided I would also go a little old school (see pics) and created an 'acquisition register'.

Two reasons for this:

One I'm just getting increasingly aware that more and more of what we have is all computer based which has it's own vulnerabilities (perhaps more than we realize).

But also, I find it a lot more enjoyable.

Not for everyone (or indeed all of my collections) but I'm really enjoying taking an old fashioned approach. And it appeases my Luddite nature.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 8.02.14 AM.jpg (58.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 8.02.26 AM.jpg (20.9 KB, 56 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 22-01-18, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Ian, I can see the ease of the photo album method but I'm looking for something I can potentially access on my phone when I'm in a shop or fair so probably not the best option for me.

It also causes a similar problem with Roy's method. You can't really carry a ledger around the shops.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Michael
Old 22-01-18, 03:35 PM

Hi Michael,

I forget to mention (and in total contrast to my ledger) I also have my collection on a few pages of my website. Link below:

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wil...a_Buttons.html

That could be something to consider. And I'm sure you would be able to access that from your I-Phone. Say's he who doesn't have one

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 22-01-18, 03:40 PM

My catalogue, such as it is, is in Word on my computer, but I've also saved it to Dropbox, so that I can access it on my phone if need be. I also have an illustrated 'wants' list I can access.

My actual cataloguing technique is to (a) have a numerical list which I add to as I acquire new badges, and (b) I've divided it up into Cavalry, Guards, Infantry of the Line, Corps & Services, Yeomanry etc. That's for cap badges. Cloth badges are basically listed as Formation Badges & TRFs, shoulder titles, trade badges, rank, etc.

It's also a bit basic, as I haven't tried a database either, but it works for me. The big task is photographing them all, although cloth being flat can usually be done easier with a scan.

My two cents worth. David
Old 22-01-18, 03:43 PM

A website is another option but I don't think the world (or my wife ) is ready to see exactly what I have.

Michael
Old 22-01-18, 10:13 PM

Part 2.

Got home and took some photos to illustrate my earlier answer.

A photo of the 6"x4" photo book with pictures of the contents of the bags of badges, in this case CCF cap badges and cloth cap badges. On the second photo is a close up showing the line drawings of badges acquired since the photo was takem (as it takes soooo long to lay them all out and photograph them again)

Photo 3 shows a couple of the A4 Wants Lists type of print out. Again the CCF list shows all the titles I currently own, with manuscrpt amendments with the second photo showing details of the WW2 Officers Cap Badges OSD/Silver/Gilt and the key to the symbols. The penultimate badge, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, officers, I have one unmarked silver (or gilt where applicable) and one marked "Sterling". Therefore if I find a hallmarked one I can afford, I know I need it!

Technically it should be possible to scan the photos onto a file then upload it to an ipad/smart phone, but that's a bit beyond my capabilities at the moment.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4127.jpg (56.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4128.jpg (65.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4125.jpg (57.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4126.jpg (48.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-02-18, 08:48 PM

If you have your collection on a website it would be possible to save that as a pdf file and copy it to your iphone or ipad or android tablet.
You should also be able to save a word document as a pdf file and do the same thing.
I think keeping it simple is the hard part...
Old 11-02-18, 11:07 PM

Thanks Derek, and for the database. It has gone onto my Windows 8 laptop and appears to be running great. I'll let you know how I get on.

Michael