British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-23, 03:38 PM

Default New Additions to Dragoon Helmet Collection.

Hello fellow collectors!

I thought I would share the first new addition to my dragoon/cavalry helmet collection for 2023. This troop's helmet to the 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards comes to me by way of Bosleys and FedEx from the United Kingdom as a Christmas gift from my two daughters who keep a discerning eye on my collection. The helmet is in absolutely lovely condition. I hope you enjoy the pictures. I have also included several pictures of the current entire collection, again I hope all enjoy the images!

Best regards to all

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd (Princess of Wales) Dragoon Guards 1 (2).jpg (52.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd (Princess of Wales) Dragoon Guards 3 (2).jpg (45.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd (Princess of Wales) Dragoon Guards 6 (2).jpg (88.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Group 3.jpg (59.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Group 4.jpg (86.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Group 5.jpg (79.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Group 7.jpg (70.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by YeoHelmetGuy; 11-01-23 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 05:49 PM

David, a really beautiful helmet. Back in the 60's I traded quite a bit for one and was so proud of it for many happy years. Wish I still had it, but sadly I do not.

Terry
Old 11-01-23, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
David, a really beautiful helmet. Back in the 60's I traded quite a bit for one and was so proud of it for many happy years. Wish I still had it, but sadly I do not.

Terry
Hello Terry,

Thank you for your kind words!!! Imagine my surprise when I opened it at Christmas and realized it was a gift from my daughters... and I never thought that they paid that much attention to my collection and had such a discriminating eye that would allow them to select and purchase such a quality original piece!

if memory serves me, you still have a couple of French or Belgium cavalry helmets on your display shelves that are quite nice. The British Army though, in terms of military fashion have always had a real flair for uniform-ing it's soldiers and the cavalry in particular, hence my collection! So sorry you no longer have your British dragoon helmet.

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Regards,

David
Old 11-01-23, 07:34 PM

David that is a fantastic display and your latest addition compliments the rest. Thank you so much for sharing.
Regards
Ian
Old 11-01-23, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post
David that is a fantastic display and your latest addition compliments the rest. Thank you so much for sharing.
Regards
Ian
Hello Ian,

THANK YOU so much for your very kind, very generous compliment!! I am taking this quality first helmet of the new year as a positive omen of the success I hope to enjoy in this new year as I continue to add to my helmet collection!

Kind regards,

David
Old 11-01-23, 08:06 PM

Stunning!
Old 11-01-23, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Stunning!
Hello,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I love collecting helmets!!

Regards,

David
Old 12-01-23, 10:57 AM

Wow , now that's what I call an amazing Christmas present!!
This is my favourite of your collection.
My Great Grandfather served in the 3rd Dragoon Guards, 1895-1914.
Thank you for sharing, a beautiful collection.

Chris
Old 12-01-23, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Wow , now that's what I call an amazing Christmas present!!
This is my favourite of your collection.
My Great Grandfather served in the 3rd Dragoon Guards, 1895-1914.
Thank you for sharing, a beautiful collection.

Chris
Hello Chris,

I was so surprised when I opened the box it was wrapped in... I never considered that my adult daughters paid that much attention to my collection. In their visits back home, they must have taken inventory of the collection and then sprang into action to acquire the 3rd Dragoon Guards helmet!

Like you, I am partial to this helmet too, not just because it was gifted but because I have always liked the 3rd Dragoon Guards distinctive among the Dragoon regiments black over red plume... so unique.

Perhaps this was your Great Grandfathers helmet from his early time in the regiment... one never knows...

Thank you for you very generous complimentary comments about this helmet and the entire collection!

Best regards,

David
Old 13-01-23, 11:11 AM

Default Helmets

Oh damn! I thought that I had the best collection of British hats and helmets on this side of the Atlantic but now I am number 2! LOL Very nice and it beats my 4 Dragoon helmets, I will get a picture soon and post it.

BTW is there any chance your daughters are up for adoption? But seriously, I think all of us here think you raised them very well indeed!

Colin
Old 13-01-23, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
Oh damn! I thought that I had the best collection of British hats and helmets on this side of the Atlantic but now I am number 2! LOL Very nice and it beats my 4 Dragoon helmets, I will get a picture soon and post it.

BTW is there any chance your daughters are up for adoption? But seriously, I think all of us here think you raised them very well indeed!

Colin
Hello Colin,

So, my daughters are in their thirties and come with husbands and dogs and cats and great jobs...adoptable, probably not... but I will trade them for your four helmets! LOL, LOL!!!

On a more serious note, yes, do post pictures of the four helmets in your collection, I would be excited to see them! What do you collect primarily? I am limited to dragoon helmets only with the occasional helmet plate thrown in but have a Victoria artillery helmet that I have owned since I was a youngster and have entertained adding a lancer cap and a hussar busby to the collection for variety and representative examples. What are the four helmets you hold in your collection? Since you have an interest in dragoon helmets you can see my collection more clearly in my album here on the "Forum", under the title "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets." Please do take a look!

Best regards,

David
Old 13-01-23, 07:24 PM

David,

I collect pre-WW1 full, and some undress, uniforms. Have a full 17th Lancers sgts uniform and over 100 others in various stages of completion. My latest is a 2nd Life Guards circa 1910 helmet tunic and shoulder belt. I have the breast and back plates too but have to strengthen the stand to hold it. I have a 2nd Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons, 5 or so Hussars and a 5th Lancers uniform that needs a helmet. I have Artillery and Infantry and a ton of Yeomanry. Also have a Staff Colonels full dress that I'm very proud of. Most of it is in storage right now as I have my 92-year-old mother living with me and she takes up the space that they once did!
Old 13-01-23, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
David,

I collect pre-WW1 full, and some undress, uniforms. Have a full 17th Lancers sgts uniform and over 100 others in various stages of completion. My latest is a 2nd Life Guards circa 1910 helmet tunic and shoulder belt. I have the breast and back plates too but have to strengthen the stand to hold it. I have a 2nd Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons, 5 or so Hussars and a 5th Lancers uniform that needs a helmet. I have Artillery and Infantry and a ton of Yeomanry. Also have a Staff Colonels full dress that I'm very proud of. Most of it is in storage right now as I have my 92-year-old mother living with me and she takes up the space that they once did!
Hello Colin,

It sounds like you a very interesting collection! Second to my interest in dragoon style helmets is the remainder of the uniform, like you, full dress though iy is not something I collect. I would love to see pictures of what you have both complete and in the works. I have a complete Queen Elizabeth II Blues and Royals troopers' uniform of which I display the helmet, cuirass, and pouch and pouch belt. I also have an 1881 1st Lifeguards officers' helmet and pouch and pouch belt, a 2nd Dragoon Guards trumpeter's helmet, an officer's helmet to the 5th Dragoon Guards along with the named storage tin, a helmet to Princess Louises Canadian Dragoon Guards and as you have seen, the new 3rd Dragoon Guards helmet... among all the others... pictures attached... would enjoy seeing pictures of your collection...

Regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&R1.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg X display4.jpg (36.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2DG2.jpg (39.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Fife7.jpg (55.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRenderStafforHampshire1 (2).jpg (83.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg X display2.jpg (52.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-01-23, 03:44 PM

Sorry, I have a new computer and trying to figure out how to edit photos so i can post them. Seems like I can get at least one up now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (74.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 14-01-23, 04:22 PM

Hello Colin,

Thank you... absolutely fabulous, a fantastic display!!! Eye obviously have a very good eye and the patience to seek out quality pieces! I am curious about the items of headgear that line the shelves to the left top and bottom of the uniforms in your picture. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your collection!

I also have the occasional cavalry helmet plate, an officer's plate to the Royal Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry with a helmet to the Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry shown below.

Again, thank you for sharing.

Regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry 1.jpg (76.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry 3.jpg (101.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry 4.jpg (108.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg L&BYC1 (2).jpg (69.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg L&BYC3 (2).jpg (82.6 KB, 12 views)

Tags
cavalry helmets, dragoon helmets, headgear