British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-24, 03:04 PM

Default Glider wings

Hi everyone can anyone tell me exactly what I have here I’ve tried to look online but can’t find all the variations many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7021.jpg (97.8 KB, 168 views)
Old 24-02-24, 03:23 PM

Cloth is not my thing so I’ll let others comment, but, if genuine you’ve hit the jackpot there I suspect
Old 24-02-24, 05:21 PM

Thanks knowing my luck I haven’t tho
Old 24-02-24, 05:32 PM

I am looking forward to comments from the Airborne experts - I think you have some nice wings there, and potentially, one very nice half wing, although I am not sure about that one .... lets see what folks say ...
Old 24-02-24, 09:09 PM

Default Nice items

Hi Warman,
I think you’ve some belters there mate.
A few £££ worth.
Jon
Old 25-02-24, 12:13 PM

Thanks hopefully they are all ok, can anyone recommend a book that shows all the variants thanks
Old 25-02-24, 04:41 PM

Look good from the pic, individual pics, front & back would help

Jerry
Old 25-02-24, 06:29 PM

Those with the Royal Artillery grenade in the centre are for Royal Artillery Air Observation Post Pilots.

Marc
Old 27-02-24, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone and yes I’ll post up some front and back photos when I get round to it cheers for all your help
Old 28-02-24, 08:25 PM

The three large wings are original WW2 examples, the smaller ones are genuine but post-war in my opinion as well as the the observation post wings. Both second pilots wings are fine late war examples. All three shoulder titles are fine and wartime.

I'm not sure on the date of the small bullion wings. The half wing appears to be a butchered wartime specimen.

As a whole a very nice and collectable lot.
Old 29-02-24, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
The three large wings are original WW2 examples, the smaller ones are genuine but post-war in my opinion as well as the the observation post wings. Both second pilots wings are fine late war examples. All three shoulder titles are fine and wartime.

I'm not sure on the date of the small bullion wings. The half wing appears to be a butchered wartime specimen.

As a whole a very nice and collectable lot.
Half wing looks original, as there's no sign of the other wing having been there...
Old 29-02-24, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Half wing looks original, as there's no sign of the other wing having been there...
Who would have worn it?

Marc
Old 29-02-24, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Who would have worn it?

Marc
I recall this thread… https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=22015

Believe there was another but cannot find it.
Old 01-03-24, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warman View Post
Thanks hopefully they are all ok, can anyone recommend a book that shows all the variants thanks
Lovely lot - congratulations!

A nice reference book is Oliver Lock's 'British Airborne Insignia' (particularly Vol.1; there is also a Vol.2). Also, Jon Mills' 'Badges on Battledress' (again especially Vol.1).
Old 09-03-24, 10:31 AM

Default Army flying badge half wing

The half wing version of the Army Flying badge was an unofficial award to volunteer personnel trained to fly in AOP aircraft and support the pilot in observation duties. This is pictured in the earlier thread showed an LAC RCAF in battledress with an Army flying badge with one wing removed on his left cuff. The response by SRDJUG was;

''The fellow conversing with the gal is either a rigger or fitter (RCAF) in either 664, 665 or 666 Air Observation Post Squadron, RCAF, who has also been trained in "Squadron Lines" as an AOP observer.
"Half" AOP wings were created by the AOP observers and sanctioned by the C.O. of each Canadian AOP squadron (in every case, a Major from the RCA, who was also senior pilot for the squadron).
The "army formation" badge above the LAC prop is AGRA (Artillery). RCAF HQ in London had to sanction RCAF groundcrew serving in AOP squadrons to wear Battledress; many of the fellows also wore berets.
In my book, "Artillery Flyers At War" (page 398), I published a photo of LAC Ernie Little of 664 AOP Squadron, RCAF, wearing a beret with his RCAF Cap badge, leaning on an Auster V aircraft. Also refer to page 410, same publication, of photo of LAC Hal Ulmer, of 665 AOP Squadron, RCAF, wearing near-identical insignia to the fellow in this photo.''

Ken Joyce in his excellent book on the history of Canadian Airborne Qualification badges 'Jump Wings' shows on page 41 a picture of another LAC wearing a half wing on his left cuff. This picture was taken on his return to Canada at the end of the war.

So the half wing illustrated with this group of Army Flying badges is likely a scarce and unofficial AOP Observers badge.

Andy