British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-16, 11:20 AM
Badge Guru

I agree Charlie.
Old 23-06-16, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I have to agree with Jibba JabbA about the way that the campaign has been conducted. Spin and lies or half truths twisted to suit an argument. The fear tactics and the nasty personal attacks. I have also been amazed how little grasp the politicians have about reality and the problems facing us in the real world. It seems to me at times that certain politicians have been more concerned with their own future than with other people. Un fortunately in the area where I live over 30000 jobs have been lost in the last 5 years with absolutely no investment at all in the area to compensate. Many kids do a one year course at college and there are no jobs to go to. I feel desperately sorry for them. That is why I voted OUT.
In the event of brexit Boris Johnson is highly likely to become Prime Minister.

Do you seriously contend that the old Etonian BoJo the Clown will do any more for the kids from your area?
Old 23-06-16, 11:26 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
In the event of brexit Boris Johnson is highly likely to become Prime Minister.

Do you seriously contend that the old Etonian BoJo the Clown will do any more for the kids from your area?
The population can vote for the prime minister, you cannot vote on EU Policy or Law.

Regaining control of the country, the country so many laid down their lives for in the past. Last time I checked we were supposed to live in a democracy?
Old 23-06-16, 11:53 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I have just read the worst joke ever. I quote; 'Surely dogs should be able to vote - after all, it is a rufferendum!'
Bad or what !
Old 23-06-16, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
The population can vote for the prime minister, you cannot vote on EU Policy or Law.

Regaining control of the country, the country so many laid down their lives for in the past. Last time I checked we were supposed to live in a democracy?
Seriously?

You have never in all your born days voted for the Prime Minister, unless you live in their constituency. When did you last have a say in whatever the "Whitehall Mandarins" decided?

Pleased to see that the lives were laid down for democracy is in the past. None since 1945.

If you are not happy with any of the rules we have signed up to you need to look to Westminster, not to Brussels. All our laws are made at Westminster. It just suits our politicians to blame" Johnny Foreigner" for anything unpopular.

As I have said in another post, European elections are far more democratic than Westminster elections because they use PR.

The problem is that a fair amount of the British people never wanted to be in Europe and have been bitching and complaining about it for the last 40 years. We should have been sending our best people to fight our ground in Europe, but we sent failed politicians and the likes of Farage.

Whose fault is it that Europe is far from perfect?
Old 23-06-16, 12:46 PM
Badge Guru

Many people vote for particular parties with in their constituency based upon who the leader is of that Political Party. People vote for leaders.

EU Law is frankly ridiculous....to border line nonsense telling us what light bulbs we should use, even dictating vacuum cleaner power. And don't get me started about how those laws are manipulated by terrorists.

Actually there was a vote to be in Europe...it was the vote into the Common Market. No one voted to join the EU.

Speaking of politicians of old......who is N. Kannock working for these days?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 23-06-16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 23-06-16, 12:53 PM

Are you a close friend of the German Chancellor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
Hello British Friends

STAY WITH US, PLEASE !!!!

cordially
Didier
Old 23-06-16, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Many people vote for particular parties with in their constituency based upon who the leader is of that Political Party will be. People vote for leaders.

EU Law is frankly ridiculous....to border line nonsense telling us what light bulbs we should use, even dictating vacuum cleaner power. And don't get me started about how those laws are manipulated by terrorists.

Actually there was a vote to be in Europe...it was the vote into the Common Market. No one voted to join the EU.
No, many people vote for a particular party no matter who the leader is at the time. This is why there are so many "safe" seats at Westminster. Seats that have been held by the same party since the extension of the franchise in 1918, and even back beyond that.

I think you will find that these laws "manipulated by terrorists" are laws established to stop people being carted off to concentration camps in the middle of the night. Something mainland Europeans know rather a lot more about than we do.

And nobody voted to join the EEC either. Ted Heath took us in and in 1975 Harold Wilson gave us a referendum, stay in the EEC or leave. But we never voted on joining.
Old 23-06-16, 01:16 PM

Looking at that chart it shows that the EU needs us more than we need them! More so I just can't believe that France seems to have more clout than us but pay 150 billion less!!! Most of this wonderful Europe is living off of out back
Old 23-06-16, 02:32 PM

Quote by BWEF, European elections are far more democratic than Westminster elections because they use PR.

I am not so sure about that. I live in the only part of the UK that uses PR. What has it achieved for us? We have now a Northern Ireland Assembly which is riddled with former terrorists of one type or another.

Funny enough some of them are pushing for a Stay vote as a Leave vote might reintroduce border checks on the border with the Republic of Ireland.

Is Europe's PR any better?
Old 23-06-16, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Quote by BWEF, European elections are far more democratic than Westminster elections because they use PR.

I am not so sure about that. I live in the only part of the UK that uses PR. What has it achieved for us? We have now a Northern Ireland Assembly which is riddled with former terrorists of one type or another.

Funny enough some of them are pushing for a Stay vote as a Leave vote might reintroduce border checks on the border with the Republic of Ireland.

Is Europe's PR any better?
European elections are far more democratic because they use Proportional Representation.

This means that all sorts of extremists and fruitloops can get elected, in particular if there is a low turnout. You might not like who is elected, but the same % of the electorate as are represented do.

Case in point, UKIP. there are 24 UKIP MEPs in Europe elected via PR. They might do no work and hate Europe and everything it stands for, but so do the same % of the electorate who voted for them.

Witness these Brexit threads, and the level of debate that some people have some up with. I would say that the main thing that is wrong with Europe is that people from all over Europe, who are against the whole idea, have been enabled to make a very rich living pandering to the people with a mindset 50 and more years in the past. It will take more than a referendum to take the world back to the 1950s.

As for FPTP the fact that people are, in effect, disenfranchised can only lead to trouble once the people realise it. People who feel that their views are not listened to do not go away, they turn to other means.

Last edited by BWEF; 23-06-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 23-06-16, 03:46 PM

If I might have my 'five eggs worth'.

Surely anyone one with an ounce of pragmatism can see that the eu is a failed project and will collapse within the next five or so years.
So, why not get out on our own terms rather than try to climb from the wreckage when it does?
Old 23-06-16, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Possibly says rather more about you and your choice of friends than anything else?

Those "undemocratic" Europeans with PR have no less than 24 UKIP MEPs supposedly representing us in Europe.

Meanwhile, in the "democratic" UK, due to a flawed system called FPTP, there is just one single UKIP MP.

What is even funnier is that Douglas Carswell seems to spend rather a lot of his time fighting with Nigel Farage.
People I know, meet and talk to are a very good cross section of English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish backgrounds with a diverse occupations, trades and positions.

I and numerous people li we wish to leave, however, I'm not going to say much more, other than this:

This country is not allowed to deport/send back to their own Countries, people convicted in Great Britain, of Murder, Rape and other serious Crimes, contrary to ENGLISH LAW, because it is contrary to EU LAW................what a load of Bollocks.

Regards

Brian
Old 12-12-18, 08:30 AM

I dare say you are rather amused at this point in time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
Hello British Friends

STAY WITH US, PLEASE !!!!

cordially
Didier
Old 12-12-18, 08:50 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crest-insignia View Post
Surely anyone one with an ounce of pragmatism can see that the eu is a failed project and will collapse within the next five or so years.
So, why not get out on our own terms rather than try to climb from the wreckage when it does?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro