British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-23, 04:59 PM

Default New USPS Regulations to the EU

Just saw this and thought I would share it. I don't see it affecting packages to the UK, but I know there are forum members who live in an EU country.

https://www.usps.com/international/n...toms-rules.htm

My suspicion is that it's more custom duty related than anything else.

Terry
Old 02-03-23, 06:29 PM

Hi Terry

I'm unable to open it in the UK.

Royal Mail now require the counter staff to input the details from Customs forms for items going out of the UK into their database, in addition to having the actual form on the package. It is going to cause long queues, particularly around Christmas, and the staff are less than impressed with the whole rigmarole. They are also a lot more probing as to the contents so it isn't as easy to fudge the info on the form - doesn't really affect me as they know me from my 3 post runs a week, but in other parts of the UK there may be issues.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 02-03-23, 06:59 PM

Graham, Hmm, sorry you weren't able to open it, so I'll add the bulk of it here.

Our post office has had the requirement to type in data like that for some time now. I still have to fill out a customs form which they just keep a copy of and print one from the data they typed in to put on the package.

Here's what the link says

New Customs Requirements for Packages to European Union (EU) Countries
If you're shipping packages to countries that follow European Union (EU) customs rules, there are new customs regulations you'll need to follow. If you don't provide more-detailed content descriptions on your customs forms, your packages may be returned or refused. USPS is providing tools to help shippers comply with these new rules.
Form for new EU customs requirements being filled out to include oil painting, cashmere scarf, and scented candle.
What You Need to Know
Starting March 1, 2023:
New customs rules apply to all outbound international packages going to European countries that follow EU customs regulations. This includes small personal gifts, ecommerce orders, and military and diplomatic mail (APO/DPO/FPO).
Every item in your package must be listed on the customs declaration form.
For each item's description: You can't just name a general category; your description must be specific. For example, you can't just say "electronics"; you have to be specific about the type of electronics, like "computer," "mobile phone," or "television."
If you use USPSĀ® tools (like the International Retail Postage Price Calculator or Global Shipping Software) and provide acceptable descriptions (that are specific and accurate), USPS will provide an "HS (Harmonized System) Tariff Code" (or just "HS Code"). This USPS-generated code will be included on your customs declaration form.
Guidance for Acceptable Descriptions
Unacceptable Acceptable
Clothes Men's shirts, girls' vest, boys' jackets
Appliances Refrigerator, stove, microwave oven
Artwork Oil painting, pencil sketch, bronze statue
Battery Lithium batteries
Gifts Scented candle, remote-controlled car, cashmere scarf
Medicine Painkillers, antiviral spray
Health & Beauty Products Detergent, toothbrush, towels
Vegetables Eggplant, onions, broccoli
Countries That Follow European Union (EU) Customs Rules
Austria