British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-23, 05:01 PM

Hopefully these pictures show up. Some more of my collection.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210319_190616 - Copy.jpg (74.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20210225_192136 - Copy.jpg (62.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 24-01-23, 05:03 PM

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210319_191225.jpg (54.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_191114 - Copy.jpg (72.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-01-23, 05:07 PM

And more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210225_192257.jpg (70.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 24-01-23, 05:15 PM

Hats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0423.jpg (64.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 24-01-23, 05:28 PM

David and Colin,

Impressive stuff. May I ask how long you have both been collecting?

JT
Old 24-01-23, 06:08 PM

I got my first badge when I was 5ish, Grandfathers WWI Royal Sussex. Had seen my dad's WWII medals (but wasn't allowed to touch them!) Started collecting at about 18ish and all out after joining the Army and getting a regular pay cheque. Got posted to Germany for 4 years and got to the UK a lot. Had a very good pay cheque then so bought lots and I do mean lots. Narrowed things down to British full dress, and some Canadian. Have about 100 so far but quite a few need items to complete. Have about 40 complete now.

Just passed my 40th year in the Army a week and a half ago.

Colin
Old 24-01-23, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
I got my first badge when I was 5ish, Grandfathers WWI Royal Sussex. Had seen my dad's WWII medals (but wasn't allowed to touch them!) Started collecting at about 18ish and all out after joining the Army and getting a regular pay cheque. Got posted to Germany for 4 years and got to the UK a lot. Had a very good pay cheque then so bought lots and I do mean lots. Narrowed things down to British full dress, and some Canadian. Have about 100 so far but quite a few need items to complete. Have about 40 complete now.

Just passed my 40th year in the Army a week and a half ago.

Colin
A lifetime! You must be just about getting the hang of it by now then?

Good for you. Your collection reflects your dedication and passion for the hobby, though in the face of that level of interest and commitment, the word ‘hobby’ doesn’t quite seem to cut the mustard.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

JT
Old 24-01-23, 08:01 PM

Quote:
More
Hello Colin, that's a great collection you have i must say, with refence to the first picture post #17 is that a Middlesex Regt badge pith helmet i see 3rd along on the shelf ??

Gerard
Old 24-01-23, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
David and Colin,

Impressive stuff. May I ask how long you have both been collecting?

JT
Hello JT,

I have only been collecting for 16 years seriously as a couple helmets I have had for 25 plus years. I have limited myself to British and Commonwealth dragoon helmets only, even though there is lots of associated uniform items I would like to have as a collector but also realize I can't collect or own it all. I have, over the years strived to acquire only the finest quality helmets I can find (which is difficult searching the United Kingdom from the United States. Like Colin I can trace my initial interest in collecting to my first tour of duty to Germany with the United States Army where I start collecting German Empire helmets. I also acquired my first British Dragoon helmet at this point, returned to the US with my 40 plus collection of German Empire helmets and sold them as a group to a fellow collector and turned my attention exclusively to British cavalry helmets!

Regards,

David
Old 25-01-23, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Hopefully these pictures show up. Some more of my collection.
Colin
Hello Colin,

Welcome home from your recent sojourn to the UK! I trust you and your mother had a terrific time. I will be curious to see/hear about what new acquisitions you made along the way... if any!

Thank you for sharing more images of your fabulous collection... just spectacular! Can you imagine the stories your collection could tell if only. You have a very good eye for quality... it would be quite the treat to see the collection in person. Again... truly remarkable!!!

Best regards,

David
Old 25-01-23, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
Hello JT,

I have only been collecting for 16 years seriously as a couple helmets I have had for 25 plus years. I have limited myself to British and Commonwealth dragoon helmets only, even though there is lots of associated uniform items I would like to have as a collector but also realize I can't collect or own it all. I have, over the years strived to acquire only the finest quality helmets I can find (which is difficult searching the United Kingdom from the United States. Like Colin I can trace my initial interest in collecting to my first tour of duty to Germany with the United States Army where I start collecting German Empire helmets. I also acquired my first British Dragoon helmet at this point, returned to the US with my 40 plus collection of German Empire helmets and sold them as a group to a fellow collector and turned my attention exclusively to British cavalry helmets!

Regards,

David
David,

It certainly is a wonderful collection. I can only imagine what it will look like in another sixteen years' time. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing with us.

JT
Old 25-01-23, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
David,

It certainly is a wonderful collection. I can only imagine what it will look like in another sixteen years' time. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing with us.

JT
Hello JT,

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very generous remarks. I am continuing to grow the collection. I am awaiting the arrival of two new exciting additions to the collection, one from Canada and the other coming from the United Kingdom. I will be posting pictures once they arrive!

Kind regards,

David
Old 25-01-23, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Hello Colin, that's a great collection you have i must say, with refence to the first picture post #17 is that a Middlesex Regt badge pith helmet i see 3rd along on the shelf ??

Gerard
Yes it is. Nice eh? Got it complete, not something that turns up too often.

Colin
Old 25-01-23, 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Jelly Terror;595411]A lifetime! You must be just about getting the hang of it by now then?

Thats not what my boss says.....LOL
Old 25-01-23, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
Hello JT,

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your very generous remarks. I am continuing to grow the collection. I am awaiting the arrival of two new exciting additions to the collection, one from Canada and the other coming from the United Kingdom. I will be posting pictures once they arrive!

Kind regards,

David
David,

Stop poaching all the good stuff from Canada before I get to it! LOL Cant wait to see what you have got. I have 2 new ones too so when I get the second one I will put both pictures up. Havnt gone to UK yet. heading over on the 13th Feb.

Colin

Tags
cavalry helmets, dragoon helmets, headgear