British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-13, 09:41 PM

Default animal heroes

hi all,

watched this,first prog, last night and thought i would post it in case some of you missed it

it is about the royal army vetenary corps showing the selection of animals,mainly dogs,and their handlers

philip

http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/151875
Old 06-06-13, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up- I managed to miss it on TV. Good program but it could have stated which of those featured were RAF Police such as the WO with the pups and the lass doing searches in Afgan. Just gave rank and name. Regards, Paul.
Old 06-06-13, 04:10 PM

i agree paul,

it would have been better if they had said the unit such as raf police but i think they were concentrating on the animals and the raw new dog handlers and their training

the girl who had been in the final of britians got talent must have had a head start on the rest of the dog handlers

philip
Old 07-06-13, 12:45 PM

Hello Philip. I have a feeling that this series will gloss over that training of military dogs is joint RAFP and RAVC- unless things have changed over the last few years, and that sadly came about in the 1990's. Before that the RAF trained dogs for the USAF in the UK and Customs etc. No official RAF Police Dog Demonstration now- cut shortly before the end of the Royal Tournament I think. Obviously a need now for more Army dogs. Regards, Paul.
Old 07-06-13, 01:24 PM
LYPAO Boff

Things would have been very different.... plans were afoot for the RAVC in MM..... but they died in 1984.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-06-13, 09:50 PM

As I thought- series continues not to mention non RAVC dog handlers. A Guard Service handler had her dog put down in a section which I praise the makers for showing. Few handlers who have been through that keep a dry eye and it brought back memories of saying goodbye to Air Dog Duke 9997 on the 20th January 1988 at RAF Laarbruch. (see my avatar.)
Also a number of RAFP handlers seen plus Cpl Ginger and his search dog in Afgan. RAF Police plainly on his rank slide and MP on his arm. Still a good program though. Regards, Paul.
Old 13-06-13, 10:29 AM

Even as a non Dog Handler (RAOC) I commented to my wife (ex QARANC) that they should have mentioned that it was an All Arms Speclisation, instead of concentrating on the RAVC Basic Course with shots of Other Arms on the job with no explanation to the fact. They make a point that there are more dogs in service use than at any other time, but no meantion of Serch Dogs in Northern Ireland during the troubles.

Good program non the less

Wanted Poppy Pins