British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-10, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default Rifle Brigade KK588?

Hi gents,

I spotted a badge in the gallery belonging to member Longshanks, I had assumed that if original it was KK588 Glengarry badge that had been converted to a pin fixing.

However he has given the dimensions as 45mm in height by 37mm in width.

This would make it too small to be a KK588 glengarry but too large to be a KK703 FSC badge.

Although I can find no mention of such a badge in K&K I have seen silver pin backed versions of this size badge offered for sale. These have been hallmarked and fit in with the period.

I have a badge of these dimensions in WM with modern lugs which I assume is a copy.

The question is, a copy of what?

Are the silver badges and possibly Longshank's badge pagri badges.

I have discussed this badge previously although not at length with Keith Blakeman and like him have been waiting to see if such a badge came up.

Could Longshank's badge be our missing link?

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi gents,

I spotted a badge in the gallery belonging to member Longshanks, I had assumed that if original it was KK588 Glengarry badge that had been converted to a pin fixing.

However he has given the dimensions as 45mm in height by 37mm in width.

This would make it too small to be a KK588 glengarry but too large to be a KK703 FSC badge.

Although I can find no mention of such a badge in K&K I have seen silver pin backed versions of this size badge offered for sale. These have been hallmarked and fit in with the period.

I have a badge of these dimensions in WM with modern lugs which I assume is a copy.

The question is, a copy of what?

Are the silver badges and possibly Longshank's badge pagri badges.

I have discussed this badge previously although not at length with Keith Blakeman and like him have been waiting to see if such a badge came up.

Could Longshank's badge be our missing link?

Ry
I do find it strange that this mid-sized badge isn't illustrated in any book and every one I've seen had tended to be of a finish unlike genuine later badges. There's also the issue of exactly what type of headress it would be worn on too, the large glengarry and small fsc are self explanatory which leaves the slightly later broderick cap for which the four honour KC badge is associated (as well as the fsh/pagri). Officers would have worn the forage cap (if indeed RB Officers did so) hence the intermediate sized badges in silver of which the last Bosleys postal auction threw a couple up.

I remain to be convinced these nickel badges are genuine.
Old 10-11-10, 08:13 PM
Banned

So the jury is out with the high probability that unless silver, these badges don't seem to be genuine given the lack of recorded evidence in the hundred or so years that has lapsed since they would have been worn.

A bit of a shame because the silver version of this badge is out of my price range so I'll have to put up with my gap filler for now.

I missed out on one on Ebay recently that sold for around a third of the price realised in Bosleys latest online auction.

I live in hope.

Thanks Keith.

Regards
Ry
Old 10-11-10, 10:02 PM

Hi Ry and Keith; here's the back if it helps the debate.

Regards

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-11-10 at 5.00.04 PM.jpg (91.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-11-10, 10:52 PM
Banned

Hi Simon,

I won't give an opinion on the fixing of the badge as I am not familiar enough with them good or bad.

Going back to my copy, I actually have two, the first one shown here is in my opinion an attractive badge (for a copy) showing very good definition front and rear.
The second looks like something out of a Christmas cracker, I'm afraid that the reverse definition of your badge is very similar to this example.

Sorry that I can't be more positive, until a definitive example comes along, if one ever does, its hard to judge.

Regards
Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 11:39 PM

As I said Ry, I wasn't holding my breath. I payed less than 3 pounds for it. No problem. I'll hold on to it for now.

Simon.