British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-16, 04:18 PM

Default 1 CAN BATT Battledress insignia

Gents
I'd like to have a few opinions on this Can Para battledress jacket I have bought from a well known dealer in France

Regards

Edwin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160117_165040_resized_1.jpg (48.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20160117_165111_resized.jpg (73.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.NEF.jpg (110.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.NEF.jpg (115.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.NEF.jpg (99.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.NEF.jpg (59.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.NEF.jpg (91.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.NEF.jpg (90.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.NEF.jpg (60.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 17-01-16, 04:40 PM

Default Is There a Return Policy?

You have already bought it, so does it really matter what this forum tells you? If this forum tells you that it is not good, does the French dealer have a return policy?

The question I have is, what features of the blouse were factors that convinced you to purchase it?
Old 17-01-16, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

The shoulder titles are not good.
As Ed says, it would have been more helpful to ask before purchasing.
Old 17-01-16, 04:58 PM

thanks for the feedback.

Edwin
Old 17-01-16, 04:58 PM

Default Knowledge

Be knowledgeable in what you are purchasing. Go and spend as much money as you spent on that BD on some good reference books, knowledge is an investment that will pay off. And, stay away from Normandy militaria dealers, as my experience is that they overpriced and full of dubious items best suited to tourists with too much money to spend.
Old 17-01-16, 05:08 PM

Default What?

No feedback as to what convinced you to buy it? There must have been some reason you parted with your money on the item.
Old 17-01-16, 08:18 PM

Default Knowledge

Instead of giving the guy a hard time about buying it, how about answering his question. What is your opinion of the BD?
We have all made dubious purchases, how about letting him know what is wrong and right so he doesn't make the same mistake again.
Old 17-01-16, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
Instead of giving the guy a hard time about buying it, how about answering his question. What is your opinion of the BD?
We have all made dubious purchases, how about letting him know what is wrong and right so he doesn't make the same mistake again.
Thanks....I thought I ended up on the WAF

I think the BD is made up to deceive. Dealers photo ' s where made well to hide details. I told the dealer what I think and hè turned up with a COA from a Dutch dealer.
So....I Just want to make sure before I send it back.

Regards Edwin
Old 17-01-16, 09:56 PM

Default Knowledge

Yeah, burn up my time writing synopsis on bogus BD, I am all over that! What it all boils down to is there are too many 'collectors' running around with too much money and no knowledge paying too much for bogus crap. There is loads of written material available that will provide the details needed to make informed decisions, but apparently no-one reads it. The current collecting mantra is seemingly buy something and then run to the forums for free advice and information on the item.

Well that plan does not appear to work and perhaps getting burned and loosing a lot of money will be the only way that these 'collectors' will learn.

I have wasted enough time on this.
Old 17-01-16, 10:26 PM

Thumbs down Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Yeah, burn up my time writing synopsis on bogus BD, I am all over that! What it all boils down to is there are too many 'collectors' running around with too much money and no knowledge paying too much for bogus crap. There is loads of written material available that will provide the details needed to make informed decisions, but apparently no-one reads it. The current collecting mantra is seemingly buy something and then run to the forums for free advice and information on the item.

Well that plan does not appear to work and perhaps getting burned and loosing a lot of money will be the only way that these 'collectors' will learn.

I have wasted enough time on this.
Don't have time to write a synopsis on bogus BD, but you do have time to write how you don't have time to write. Nice!

"Loads of written material", like what? Maybe point the guy in the right direction?

No, your solution is to just F$%k em! He still has no idea why the BD is wrong.

BTW there are other forum members, like myself, who have no interest in collecting 1 Can Para BD; can't afford it, nor is it an area of interest or collecting. Nor can I afford meters of shelf space for books on subjects I don't collect. They are to hard to find and/or too expensive. But I'm still interested in why this BD is wrong. It's why I belong to the forum. To gain a little insight into these matters.

Thanks for the help--NOT!
Old 17-01-16, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Gents
I'd like to have a few opinions on this Can Para battledress jacket I have bought from a well known dealer in France

Regards

Edwin

Hello Edwin,

That BD is PERFECT!....for re-enacting but that’s it.

As already mentioned there are plenty of books on the subject, however, even if you read them all, you still may get burned. Some badges can be tricky. 1st Can Para BD’s are rare enough that most people don’t get the opportunity to see, let alone handle one to get a “hands on experience”. Even if all the badges were original, you may still be buying a dud. (made up) There are a few museums there displaying fake stuff, which doesn't help someone hoping they are looking at original examples.

I have been to most, if not all the military shops in the Normandy region on my many trips there in search for "gold". The unfortunate thing is that the shop owner may even believe this BD to be legit, and the vicious cycle continues. Good luck to you.

All the best from Canada.

Last edited by cw2311; 17-01-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 17-01-16, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

To answer some of the points being made above, there are many many other threads on 1 Cdn Para insignia on this Forum. A good start is right here. There are threads on several FB pages, and on other Fora like WAF.
As I said above the canvas titles are repro. Compare the titles on this bd with the ones in our Gallery. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ndex_cloth.htm
Old 18-01-16, 04:00 PM

I just cant believe Ed Storey is allowed to be on these forums, the only contributions he makes is to piss people off. I really cant remember any point he has made that actually contributes to collecting.
His caustic attitude brings nothing to this forum, the same thing happened with canadiansoldiers.com, he pissed so many people off that collectors just gave up. If the admin on this forum do not reel him or ban him the same thing will happen here.
Windmill is a new forum member, if you were him and received Ed's reply would you want to continue with this forum.
Old 18-01-16, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

The posts are moving into areas not dealing with the question posed by windmill. Please keep the comments directed to the topic.