British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-05-13, 11:45 PM

But the seller GUARANTEED it to be ‘original WW2’ from his 30 year collection!!!....therefore it must be the real deal!!
Old 23-08-14, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
As mentioned, the slider is wrong and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, these badges are made in the form of the officer's badge which is different from the EM badge so it's wrong in pretty much every sense. Aged or not, these badges should not fool anyone as there is more then enough examples of original badges on the internet and in books.
What does "EM" mean? Electro-magnetic? Or are you trying to say "OR's", or "NCMs"?

Last edited by Seathanaich; 23-08-14 at 04:42 AM.
Old 23-08-14, 07:19 AM

Enlisted Men (Man).... synonymous with OR and NCM.... so I wrote precisely what I meant to write.
Old 23-08-14, 11:20 PM

Default Americanism.

Quote:
Enlisted Men (Man).... synonymous with OR and NCM.... so I wrote precisely what I meant to write.
That's an Americanism that I have never heard used in the Canadian military in 24 years. OR is the term previously used in the Canadian military, and NCM is the term primarily used in the Canadian military since unification.
Old 24-08-14, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
That's an Americanism that I have never heard used in the Canadian military in 24 years. OR is the term previously used in the Canadian military, and NCM is the term primarily used in the Canadian military since unification.
So.... it's a term that is understood by most which is the point of communication. I understand your point and in some situations I agree that accuracy in terminology/nomenclature can prevent confusion but IMO reviving this old thread to make a point about semantics really doesn't add anything useful to the topic.

And in my 22 years in the Canadian military I have heard it. It may not have been in an official capacity but again, we all understood what was meant.
Old 26-08-14, 03:42 AM

Quote:
So.... it's a term that is understood by most which is the point of communication. I understand your point and in some situations I agree that accuracy in terminology/nomenclature can prevent confusion but IMO reviving this old thread to make a point about semantics really doesn't add anything useful to the topic. And in my 22 years in the Canadian military I have heard it. It may not have been in an official capacity but again, we all understood what was meant.
The point of raising this isn't "semantics", the point was to correct incorrect usage (people always cry "semantics" when someone corrects their usage). I would do the same if someone was repeatedly writing "Pvt" instead of "Pte", or calling the Canadian Army the "Royal Canadian Army". Correct terminology should not only be something any regular here should want to employ, it's also important if this is to be considered a source of expert opinion and advice.

Your 22 years in must have ended before my 24 years in began, because I have never seen that abbreviation nor ever heard it used outside of American war movies.
Old 26-08-14, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Drifting off the topic of the thread. Lets keep the focus on the badges, please.
Old 28-08-14, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Drifting off the topic of the thread. Lets keep the focus on the badges, please.
No problem.... that's what I was thinking too.