British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-08-14, 10:22 AM
chris cunniffe's Avatar
chris cunniffe chris cunniffe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
Default 11th Hussars

Hi I am led to believe that there are 3 versions of this badge in A/A I have Firmins voided. Firmins colour change. and a Gaunt unvoided can any one please show me a scan of each version and also point out the diff so I know what to look out for many thanks chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-08-14, 10:40 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Hi Chris, what do you mean by colour change?
I have two versions, a void and a non void . Not sure of makers at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-08-14, 11:06 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Just looked :-

Gaunt London non void
Firmin London void

The Gaunt is a lighter gold than the Firmin one.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-08-14, 11:09 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Gaunt version on the left. You can see clearly the void area between the crown and the scroll at the bottom of the badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28. 11th Hussars non void.jpg (73.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 29. 11th Hussars void.jpg (62.9 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-08-14, 12:09 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portsmouth Area
Posts: 867
Default

Chris

I've got 3 different versions. A Firmin marked version which is voided, a Firmin marked version which is unvoided and a Gaunt marked version that is unvoided. The 2 Firmin badges are the same pattern, just a difference in the voiding but the Gaunt badge is fatter at the base of the vertical part and it looks more tapered. Also, the Gaunt scrolls are seeded but the Firmin scrolls are not.

Paddy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-08-14, 12:35 PM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Chris

I've got 3 different versions. A Firmin marked version which is voided, a Firmin marked version which is unvoided and a Gaunt marked version that is unvoided. The 2 Firmin badges are the same pattern, just a difference in the voiding but the Gaunt badge is fatter at the base of the vertical part and it looks more tapered. Also, the Gaunt scrolls are seeded but the Firmin scrolls are not.

Paddy
I never looked at the seeding on mine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-08-14, 12:37 PM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Same as yours Paddy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-08-14, 06:53 PM
hagwalther's Avatar
hagwalther hagwalther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,870
Default

Hi Guys,

The seeded badges are the earlier badges and were changed by request by the War Office. This request was made for all A/A badges and first proposed in 1958.

Chris, see page 11.

Regards

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-08-14, 07:33 PM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

The seeded badges are the earlier badges and were changed by request by the War Office. This request was made for all A/A badges and first proposed in 1958.

Chris, see page 11.

Regards

Chris
That gives the non seeded badge a maximum of an eleven year life span .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24-08-14, 08:54 PM
hagwalther's Avatar
hagwalther hagwalther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
That gives the non seeded badge a maximum of an eleven year life span .
No Mike it most certainly does not.

I said that the proposal to remove seeding was FIRST made in 1958.

Going off and making statements like yours does nothing but bring confusion and error into the matter.

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 24-08-14 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-08-14, 05:48 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Mind block error.
We all make errors you know,and make incorrect statements.
K&K states that 11th Hussars was sealed in November 1964 so probably less that what I originally thought.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-08-14, 06:40 AM
hagwalther's Avatar
hagwalther hagwalther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Mind block error.
We all make errors you know,and make incorrect statements.
K&K states that 11th Hussars was sealed in November 1964 so probably less that what I originally thought.
Hi Mike,

The badge is in the CCN of 1963 so I would say it was sealed before Nov 1964.

Regards

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-08-14, 07:09 AM
grey_green_acorn's Avatar
grey_green_acorn grey_green_acorn is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 3,884
Default

Bearing in mind that the 11th Hussars did not wear a badge in their berets there should not be too many of either the seeded or unseeded anondised badge around?

That said, even though the 11th amalgamated with the 10th Hussars in 1969, the "stores system" could have (over) ordered.

Tim
__________________
"Manui dat cognitio vires - Knowledge gives strength to the arm"
"Better to know it but not need it than to need it and not know it!"
"Have more than thou showest, speak less than thou knowest."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-08-14, 07:54 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Bearing in mind that the 11th Hussars did not wear a badge in their berets there should not be too many of either the seeded or unseeded anondised badge around?

That said, even though the 11th amalgamated with the 10th Hussars in 1969, the "stores system" could have (over) ordered.

Tim
Sounds like it Tim .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.