British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-08, 09:28 PM

Default Kings Regt or Liverpool University

Ive noticed whilst browsing through the badges on Ebay,a large quantity of anodised badges that are labelled as Kings Liverpool Regt,which is fine although they are probaly Liverpool University issue badge.
What id like to know is,in my collection i have the beret sized Kings badge representing the Kings and Liverpool uni(2 badges the same,just like the old RRW and Cardiff uni before it was changed),but i also have a large Kings badge.Does this large badge belong to the university or the Kings regt ?
Old 24-04-08, 06:52 AM

Mike.

If you have one of the large anodised badges ( on right on attached picture ) you have a fairly rare badge.They were made for the OTC but have not been worn for some considerable time.

The OTC wear the smaller anodised badge ( left one ) and I believe have done so for some time.

The large anodised Kings Regt badge was not worn by the Regiment and it seems that the anodised collars of the design we are talking about were only worn by the 5th Territorial Battalion.

I did buy a complete No2 dress uniform of the LUOTC a long time ago,the sd cap has the bi metal post 1926 Kings badge on it,but the cap itself is Australian with anodised Australian cap buttons and the cap was purchased by the cadet from an army surplus store.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6354.jpg (41.6 KB, 66 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-04-08, 07:39 AM

Just to clarify. the LU OTC wore regular insignia up to at least the 1950s.
(Gaylor, I think, says they wore a WM version but there is no evidence for this whatsoever)
The large size AA appeared at some date around then (I'm trying to find the exact dates).
They probably continued with regular ones until 1971 - probably the "small size" 1950 badge.
In 1971 a new "small sized" AA badge was sealed for them - Peter has the pattern ! This is the one that K&K mistook for the badge of the regular unit - which would be odd as it was 13 years after the regt ceased to exist. Checking with MoD records etc however shows that this is specifically a LU OTC issue.
Yes, there is a difference:
The regular small AA (and I don't think this was ever worn by the regular battalions anyway - just the 5th Bn up to 1967) has a scroll which is "seeded" / stippled / dotted.
The 1971 OTC AA has a plain scroll without any seeding. (it is Firmin marked examples of this that seem to be flooding the market)

There is actually a bimetal badge made by Smith & Wright that does not have seeding and I assume this was an earlier version - possibly worn up to 1971.

Last edited by KLR; 24-04-08 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 06:45 PM

Default large kings anodised badge

Hi P.B
THANKS FOR SHOWING THE LARGE LIVERPOOL U.O.T.C, CAN YOU TELL ME THE MAKERS NAME PLEASE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE . MANY THANKS.
UKBRITS
Old 04-05-08, 07:37 AM

Ukbrits,
The badge is in a glazed frame, I will post as picture of the back next time I open the frame.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-05-08, 07:41 PM

Default large kings anodised badge

Many Thnks P.B
I look forward to the day you have to open the frame - hopefully Another prize badge to add to your super collection!.Thanks for sharing.
Regards.
ukbrits