British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-08, 12:11 AM

Default Liverpool Welsh bn, Kings Liverpool

Have just been looking through Malcolm Bellis`s book `British Armoured and Infantry Regiments 1939 -1945 and have come across a battalion i have not heard of before. Within the RTR section the entry for the 46th RTR states that it originated from the Liverpool Welsh bn, KLR though the bn was alloted to tanks on forming and the no infantry bn number was issued. Can anyone shed any light on this!
Cheers, Dave
Old 04-05-08, 07:33 AM

The 7th Kings became the 40th RTC in 1938.In April 1939 a further reoganisation took place and the T.A. doubled it strength and six additional regiments were formed based upon those Infantry battalions which had earlier converted to RTC ( now RTR )

The 46th (Liverpool Welsh) was formed at Liverpool as an offshoot of the 40th.

The only insignia which was unique to the regiment was a shoulder strap badge a red dragon on a green circle.( See the Royal Tank Regiment- a pictorial history by Forty )

The regiment later became Royal Artillery in 1947 ( Lichfield the Terrirorial Artillery page 129 )

There was a Liverpool Welsh Rifle Volunteer Corps- the 39th Lancs R.V.C. which had a short independent existance in the 1850`s.

P.B.

Couple of further thoughts, although having a Liverpool connection, I dont think the 46th RTR could be thought to have any connection with the Kings Liverpool Regt.
Bosleys have sold at least one example of the Liverpool Welsh shoulder strap badge but I cannot find which sale(s) it was in at the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6527.jpg (83.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6532.jpg (75.1 KB, 17 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 04-05-08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-05-08, 10:34 AM

Bantam has a pouch belt badge for the 39th Lancs(Liverpool Welsh) and I'm sure will post it if asked and Rod Flood has one for sale at the moment if anyone is interested.
Cofion
41st
Old 04-05-08, 12:16 PM

Hi All,
This is the pouch badge for The 39th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers(Liverpool Welsh) formed 2nd February 1860.
Hwyl
Bantam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liverpool welsh.jpg (49.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-05-08, 07:32 AM

I dont unfortunatly have an example of the cross belt plate but I do have a presentation sword to the Liverpool Welsh Rifle Volunteers,
I dont know if the inscription which is on the scabbard will be legible
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6541.jpg (40.8 KB, 21 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-05-08, 09:00 PM

Nawte,
O ble ydy my en dod?
Now then,
From where did he come?
That is a superb piece and thanks for showing it. Any chance of a high resolution digital photo to show the Cardiff Military History boys?
Diolch yn fawr,
KCHT
Old 06-05-08, 05:37 AM

41st,
Will try for a better photo, as you can imagine being engraved on the scabbard the writing is very small.

Peter

Old 06-05-08, 03:33 PM

41st,
Apologies, I dont think this photo will be much better, I am afraid my camera is not up to the task

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6602.jpg (54.4 KB, 21 views)

Old 06-05-08, 04:05 PM

The wording seems clear enough to me :

Presented to
William Roberts Esq
By the
Officers & Members
Of the
Lpool Welsh Rifle Volunteers
(89th Lancashire)
17th April 1860

(a lot easier than the 16th century writing I’ve been looking at recently !)
Very nice sword !
Old 06-05-08, 07:58 PM

Peter,
Thanks for the latest photo. It's good enough for my purposes and I can blow it up with my digital programme.
Diolch yn fawr.
Kevin