British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-21, 08:01 PM

Default Silver officers Parachute Regt cap badge

Hi,
I didn't think they are this rare, hallmarked 1942 just sold on E bay £1,650!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-SIL...orig_cvip=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 21 £1,650 (1) - Copy.jpg (83.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 21 £1,650 (2) - Copy.jpg (95.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 16-01-21, 08:04 PM

Mind boggling. I guesstimated perhaps £200-400 on a good day.

One very happy seller.
Old 16-01-21, 08:06 PM

Hi, maybe it had provenance? Johnny Frost or Roy Urquhart

Cheers,
Rick
Old 16-01-21, 08:10 PM

I bought it been looking for this one for years and its the s hallmark goes well with my gaunt silver plate,white metal,brass nickel plated,firmin and Ludlow badges it was a lot more than I expected to pay but I will cherish it for years along with all my airborne badges and buttons from ww2
Old 16-01-21, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber View Post
I bought it been looking for this one for years and its the s hallmark goes well with my gaunt silver plate,white metal,brass nickel plated,firmin and Ludlow badges it was a lot more than I expected to pay but I will cherish it for years along with all my airborne badges and buttons from ww2
Lovely piece - 1943 dated too. I agree that some things are difficult to put a price on given the enjoyment they provide. Not that we collect for investment, but these high end items only appear to increase in value ... Images of other items are always appreciated, but that is a real corker.
Congratulations
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 18-01-21 at 11:26 AM. Reason: HM Date adjusted to 1943 following comments in this thread
Old 16-01-21, 08:32 PM

Fair play bomber. A rare badge made from a precious metal to an iconic regiment from the most historic of periods. Could be years before another appears so well played gasping the opportunity. Enjoy it, many on here would love one, but, in reality is it’s a badge only a few can or will ever own. Well won.
Old 16-01-21, 11:40 PM

Certainly one of the earliest (April to July 1943) and consequently rarest Para cap badge. Well done!
Interestingly, it has the typical upper die flaw close to the chute rigging which was discussed at length here https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...2&postcount=24
Old 17-01-21, 10:58 PM

Default Silver officers Parachute Regt cap badge

There was another one similar to this discussed on the forum sometime in November which had a P on the reverse. How does this one compare with that one in value and rarety ?

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 18-01-21, 10:02 AM

Significantly less in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
There was another one similar to this discussed on the forum sometime in November which had a P on the reverse. How does this one compare with that one in value and rarety ?

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 19-01-21, 11:37 PM

Default silver officers parachute cap badge

Hi Frank

As one is currently available what would you think the significantly lower value of it is then? It would be nice to at least have a rough idea as you obviously have an price guide in mind.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 20-01-21, 10:38 AM

No, I don't have a price guide in mind, certainly not these days as everything does seem so very expensive, I suppose it would largely depend upon where and how it was being sold.
Notwithstanding, I do stand by what I said, such a badge would have to be of less value, given that it is not silver nor really datable to a particular year, the Tudor crown badges were still in use during Musketeer, unless, of course, you have the details of any original wearer from the point it was retailed to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Hi Frank

As one is currently available what would you think the significantly lower value of it is then? It would be nice to at least have a rough idea as you obviously have an price guide in mind.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 20-01-21, 05:42 PM

I paid 250 pounds for my gaunt silver plated badge with a p on the back there are 2 others j r gaunt London p and one with no markings I would say the one with j r gaunt London p would make a little more but they are all the same by gaunt and the same size as the silver ones hope that helps