British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-20, 04:33 PM

I too think it has been once had a ''lemon squeezer'' style peak, evident by the creases. So if so it would have belonged to one of three squadrons , the 5th Otago Hussars , the 7th Southland or the 12th Otago . They were the only New Zealand Mounted Rifles that served on the Western front as a unit( and only NZMR to wear hat in that style) .A badge should not be hard to obtain ,if you wish to do so, and if there are holes were the cap badge once was , a measurement might tell us which one .

Here is my WW2 example of the 5th Hussars for reference . Your WW1 hat is rare in any condition. 1st NZEF headwear in general is hard to find .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMR 97788084_2626312400990944_498496470131933184_o.jpg (63.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by pukman; 03-11-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 09:16 PM

Thanks for really helpful information and a fantastic photo. I have all three badges and will check the position of the holes. It will help that there is a faint discolouration or rub mark where the badge originally sat. The bimetal badge of the 5th Otago looks fantastic and I hope this is the correct one. Will finish mimimal restoration first.
Is the bimetal 5th Otago an officer badge? I have a plain brass one also.
Kingsley
Old 04-11-20, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Thanks for really helpful information and a fantastic photo. I have all three badges and will check the position of the holes. It will help that there is a faint discolouration or rub mark where the badge originally sat. The bimetal badge of the 5th Otago looks fantastic and I hope this is the correct one. Will finish mimimal restoration first.
Is the bimetal 5th Otago an officer badge? I have a plain brass one also.
Kingsley
Your Welcome .Brass and white metal 5th Hussars are for other ranks .
Old 04-11-20, 11:36 PM

Just delivered the hat yesterday to the restorer that was recommended, looking forward to the result.
The background rubbing on the hat appears to be the badge of the 7th Southland but I haven't tried it on the hat yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ7thA.jpg (110.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg NZMR2.jpg (31.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-11-20, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Just delivered the hat yesterday to the restorer that was recommended, looking forward to the result.
The background rubbing on the hat appears to be the badge of the 7th Southland but I haven't tried it on the hat yet.
Of all the the 12 New Zealand Mounted squadrons , the shading fits 7th Southland MR the best ( i hope the cap badge fits the lug holes ) The 7th SMR being dear to me, being local . The Otago Mounted rifles , only a squadron strength on the Western Front ,nominal strength 120-150 , so roughly 40 -50 others ranks would have worn this hat from the 3 squadrons . So a rare item regardless of its condition .
Old 17-11-20, 08:29 AM

Big Lemon squeezer auction tomorrow here in Wellington, with 50 squeezers including 3 miniatures and 11 listed as WW1.

However for all you postal and phone bidders who cant make it for viewing, beware, as most of the WW1 LS are actually WW2, and quite a few of the WW2 LS are post WW2.
Old 19-11-20, 07:12 AM

Yesterday I went along to the Dunbar Sloane Militaria auction in Wellington.

The biggest prices achieved were Lemon Squeezers attributed to Lt Col Andrews, 25/11/40 (VC winner in WW1), and a WW2 War Correspondence squeezer owned by Richard Miller, both went for $1000 NZd.

The next best price achieved was an online bidder who paid $850 NZd for a WW1 9th Wellington Regiment LS with no interior fittings. Interestingly, when I inspected this squeezer I noticed it had diamond shaped pin hole vents to both sides.

The next highest bid for a WW1 squeezer was $450, for a very nice Veterinary Corps.

On top of these prices was a buyers premium of 18% + GST.

For myself, I came away with a moth eaten WW2 infantry squeezer dated 1942 for a total cost of $217,26, and an old NZ marked pith helmet for a total cost of $96,56.

20201118_135520.jpg
20201118_135526.jpg
Old 19-11-20, 07:39 AM

Just found Dunbar Sloane has put up a list of the prices that were achieved. (includes pictures of the hats)
My hat is number 41.

https://auctions.dunbarsloane.co.nz/1491/catalogue
Old 19-11-20, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Just found Dunbar Sloane has put up a list of the prices that were achieved. (includes pictures of the hats)
My hat is number 41.

https://auctions.dunbarsloane.co.nz/1491/catalogue
Hi Brent,
Thanks for posting the link. Were the items from just one chap's collection or from several?
Regards,
John
Old 20-11-20, 01:50 AM

Hi to All,
I would like to get in contact with the person who brought lot 210 from Dunbar's Auction.
If any one can help.
Thanks
Barry
Old 20-11-20, 04:46 AM

Beautiful!!! To me that's the kind you wnat - it's been in action instead of sitting on the QM's shelf!

A real beauty in my book!!!

Terry