British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-16, 09:03 PM

Default Foresters Brigade or Midland Bde

I have this printed badge marked as Foresters Brigade.
The 1958 reorganisations created the Midland Brigade which changed its name to Foresters Brigade in 1958 then ceased to exist in 1964.
But the 1958 change was partly due to the Lincolnshire Regiment going to the East Anglian Brigade.

VI is Warwick
X is Lincoln
XVII is Leicester
XLV is Derby

So I presume this badge is actually Midland Brigade and worn 1948-1958.

Any confirmation please? Thanks, Charlie

IMG_20161211_0001.jpg
Old 11-12-16, 09:16 PM

Badges on Battledress by Lt Col Howard Cole Third Edition Aug 53 indicates that the sign illustrated was in wear at that date, in consequence of an infantry reorganisation of 1947 which established Infantry Training Brigade groups. He notes that the constituent regiments of the Midland Brigade were exactly as you stated. Mike
Old 11-12-16, 09:20 PM

An example from my collection - possibly "bazaar" made in Korea?
Midland Brigade_Locally made_Korea query.01.jpg
Old 11-12-16, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. My mistake starting with 58 when I meant 48- now edited. I have a copy of a WW2 Formation Sign book by Cole somewhere but I cannot find it yet.Frustrating and it might not cover the post-war items.
Charlie
Old 12-12-16, 04:04 PM

Default Foresters/ Midland

Yes, one of the reasons the redundancy of the FS was the move of the Lincs Regt. Attached information from Kew.

WO32/16984.
06.03.58. Letter from HQ Midland Bde to composite units (1/ R. Warwick, 1/R. Leics, 1 Foresters, Depot R. Warwick, Depot R. Leics, Depot Foresters).

Brigade Sign- The Midland Brigade.
1. The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment will be transferred to East Anglian Brigade w.e.f. 1st April 1958. From that date the Brigade sign will be incorrect as it contains the R. Lincolns regimental number (X).
2. Therefore w.e.f. 1st April 1958, the wearing of the Brigade sign will be discontinued by all units of the Brigade.
3. No new Brigade sign is being produced in lieu, as their use will be discontinued on the introduction of Brigade cap badges. The Brigade cap badge will be taken into use on the formation of the Brigade Depot. There will thus be a hiatus of probably two years, but under the circumstances this must be accepted.
4. Formation signs will, of course, continue to be worn in accordance with formation instructions.