British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-11, 03:15 PM

Default Interesting book of British Naval Dress

Attending a Military show Sat last, I always have a look at the books, never know if I might find something of interest....

well I did & I almost missed it as the vendor's table was a real conglomerate - books stacked all over the place, no order, no system,.... you know the drill I am sure!!!

However I found & negotiated this little gem from 1960!
Ist ed, super condition, orriginal dust cover. Never even knew it existed. Wish I had it yrs & yrs ago!

below are a few shots & I can photo more of the illustrations if readers wish.

Not much badge illustrations tho, mainly plates on various Naval uniforms thru the 1748 - circa 1950 period.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naval Dress bk.jpg (68.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Naval Dress cover.jpg (82.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Naval Dress pub.jpg (31.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Naval dress Fronspc.jpg (60.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Naval Dress illustr.jpg (64.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 20-09-11, 05:43 PM

Default Just Navy?

Does the book contain plates of Marine uniforms/badges at all, or is it purely naval?
Yours Aye
Ray
Old 20-09-11, 05:59 PM

Hi Bryan
Well done, looks like an absolute gem.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-09-11, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray6930 View Post
Does the book contain plates of Marine uniforms/badges at all, or is it purely naval?
Yours Aye
Ray
Its all RN Ray.
Old 21-09-11, 07:37 AM

Default Interesting Book of British Naval Dress

Hello all

There is another book on RN and RM badges and insignia due out in October. It is 'Rank and Rate Vol II: Insignia of Royal Naval Ratings, WRNS, Royal Marines, QARNNS and Auxiliaries' by E.C. Coleman. It is available from 24/10/2011 and can be pre-booked on Amazon.

I know that the initial volume was criticised by some naval collectors (I must strss that I'm not referring to members of this site just collectors generally) and, yes, it did contain some mistakes (many the fault of the printers) but those of us who collect naval and marine insignia know what a minefield it can be! Even May, who many collectors quote as if it were the Bible, made errors and mistakes. Some criticism was made of the fact that Coleman used cut-and-paste to create images of badges that only existed in photos. Would they have been happier it he had just used pencil sketches? This is the 21st century after all! (Unfortunately )

My answer to those that criticised the work was always to say 'Well, if you think you can do better then get writing!" I'm still waiting ...

Very few books exist which are devoted solely to RN and RM uniforms and insignia (I can only think of about half a dozen or so) so any new publications should be welcomed and encouragement should be given to those who attempt to compile them. I certainly wouldn't be brave enough.

Sorry about this turning into a bit of a rant. I need more coffee ...

And belated congratulations to all our friends in Canada on the restoration of the title Royal Canadian Navy. Good news!

Pete