British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-10, 08:42 PM

Default WW2 Navy divers group

Hi guys, Im a new member looking for a little bit of help on this group of items, I purchased these recently and while i am not a ww2 British collector i thought it was far too interesting a set of items to pass up on, The only info i have is that these came from the daughter of a gentleman who served in WW2 at present i have nothing else apart from the patches to go on but am trying to track down the previous owner. Am i right in thinking these are ww2 period and judging by the patches themselves is it possible to work out what this gentlemans function was other than a diver? if you require any further pics please dont hesitate to ask.
Many thanks
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whole group.JPG (49.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0303.jpg (94.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Bullion reverse.jpg (98.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg patch front.jpg (89.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Patch rev.jpg (86.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 28-08-10, 08:46 PM

WOW 200+ views and not a single comment have i posted them in the wrong forum or is there no interest in these? I am fairly new at British insignia my areas of interest are German ww2 awards and British WW1 medals to the Y&L regiment.

Last edited by Jambobbyb; 06-09-10 at 05:02 PM.
Old 28-08-10, 09:53 PM

Default Patience

Well I'm just one of those 200+ viewers, but in my case I take a look at ALL posts, but refrain from answering when I lack specific knowledge, which is more often than not, and even then I'm quite often besides the general concensus of fact.

Give it a couple of days and someone is liable to come up with something useful. Generally speaking, the obscurer the question, and yours seems like one to me, the longer it'll take for someone to come up with a satisfactory answer.

Rgds,
fougasse1940

Last edited by fougasse1940; 28-08-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 29-08-10, 09:53 AM

the divers badges have been worn on the right cuff by either a Petty Officer or a Leading Seaman. The Good Conduct Chevrons have been worn on the upper left sleeve with either two crossed anchors, crown above, by a PO or a foul anchor by a LS. The divers badge and the chevrons did not go together (one is a specialty badge, the other a rating badge). Golds for No. 1 Dress, reds for No. 2 Dress.
Left row 3 is a PO Gunner. 4 is a Gunner 1st Class. 5 is Torpedoman 1st Class. Right row 3 is same as left row 4, but for No. 2 Dress.
Hope this will help.
best regards
Birger
Old 29-08-10, 12:27 PM

Hi Birger and fougasse1940, many thanks for your replies that info is most helpfull,
Kind regards
James
Old 29-08-10, 12:47 PM

Here a pic of PO Rating Badge No. 2 Dress WW2
Kind regards
Birger
Old 29-08-10, 12:48 PM

Sorry, it didn't work properly.
I'll try again.
Birger
Old 29-08-10, 12:53 PM

Last edited by GreatDane; 29-08-10 at 06:47 PM. Reason: image didn't show
Old 25-04-15, 09:24 AM

Hi guys sorry to bounce this one back up to the top, but I am wondering does anyone else have a set of these divers patches? I haven't been able to find another in the last 4 years.
Old 25-04-15, 08:52 PM

I don't understand why these patches draw so little interest, I am fascinated by them. I have been searching eBay and the image sites and I can't find another, i can find these but not one like mine with the helmet facing the opposite way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 25-04-15, 09:05 PM

I have found this image which shows this one on wear over on waf with the title

Final image for now captioned "Ken T124X underwater explosive expert. Shot by Japs on Kellatan coast survey August 1941".

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=diver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 25-04-15, 10:34 PM

This was also an RAN badge worn by divers who had qualified on the Standard Diving course and was worn on the right cuff with the addition of stars to indicate class qualifications.

One star above was a Diver 3rd Class, I have no idea what the crown represents. I presume the badges appeared in red on blue as well.

After the category of RAN Clearance Diver was established (in 1954) they wore the divers badge with a C added below it on the right upper arm.
Old 25-04-15, 10:36 PM

And apologies, I'm referring to the last picture you posted, didn't realise you were still chasing info on your first post. Disregard my last.
Old 25-04-15, 10:44 PM

Hi Fairlie many thanks for the reply, I know this version was used between 1938-1940 so there won't have been that many given out, I'm pretty sure this is at present the only one known to exist. I have literally spent the last 4 years looking for a matching example and I can't find one. The bullion wire on these is of realy high quality and cold to the touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Jambobbyb; 25-04-15 at 10:59 PM.
Old 27-04-15, 05:57 PM

I believe the badge you are showing and enquiring about is what is known as the Ship's Diver badge or Artificer Diver badge. The face of the helmet faces right. It is an Adqual (Additional Qualification) and as such is worn on the lower right cuff. It is not the main trade of the wearer who would only be used on hull inspections or repairs, shallow water recoveries etc. IIRC there may have been some Ship's Divers with letters below the helmet but I'm by no means sure.

The left facing helmet is that of the Clearance Diver, the RN's professional diver. The devices above and below the badge denote the qualification level. A star above being CD Class 3, above and below CD2 and crown above CD1. Other arrangements are possible as the star and crown system seems to change from decade to decade with two stars below a device usually being an instructor.

The reason you may not find the exact embroidery is that the RN were paid a Kit Upkeep Allowance and private purchase was very common with many naval tailors supplying badges and suits.

Hope this helps or gives you some leads.