British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-21, 08:18 AM

If the ranking RAF officer had a civilian batman/woman did they wear a RAF style uniform either issued from stores or purchased by the said Officer or did the Batman/women have to supply their own uniform and be issued the said badges ???
The NSN states BATMAN but would a BATWOMEN for a senior RAF female officer wear the same badge(s) if said officer had a batwomen ?
Lots of questions......
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0013.jpg (49.1 KB, 13 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 02-04-21, 12:15 PM

Default RAF CIVILIAN BATMAN BADGES/UNIFORM

AP 830 (4th Edition) Lists scales of uniform clothing for Civilian: 1. Messengers, r

AP 830 Volume 3, 4th Edition lists scales of uniform clothing for Civilian: 1. Messengers, Range Wardens, RAF Museum Warders, Batmen, Full Time Hall Porters in Officers Messes and RAF Careers Information Centre Attendants. 2. Civilian Mess Waiters and Waitresses
Old 02-04-21, 07:21 PM

I am convinced, multiple times!

I was never senior enough in my service to have a batman as such, living in my officially provided house, and I suspect that by the time I was fairly senior such luxuries were for Air Officers, and probably 2 star and above. [Air Commodores got wallpaper at 1 star!].

Batting, as was understood 1960-1990 consisted of morning wakening with tea in a good Mess, and little else, and usually by a female. Nothing like shoe cleaning, long gone.

Batting in Married Quarters was by private arrangement with a local civilian female, who "did" for one's family and "obliged" at table if there were guests.

I do however recognise the use of the badge for Messengers in various RAF and M o D HQs.

Totally convinced of genuine provenance, and happy to be corrected by a blizzard of facts. Well done people.
Old 02-04-21, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Commander British Forces Cyprus had a Sudanese batman (he was 65) in 1999 who was employed as the 'house-boy'.

CO 9 Sig Regt still employed a SSgt as the Mess Manager who arranged dinners at the CO's house when he had functions.

The Adjt at 9 Sig Regt had all of his uniforms washed and starched and delivered to the Mess at public expense - had to polish one's own shoes though.

The Empire was slow to close in some places.
Old 03-04-21, 08:15 PM

Gents, many thanks for all of the above. I'm so glad I put it up for discussion . . . and even managed to circulate a couple of spares out there too.
You absolutely do live and learn. Thanks again all.

Its what the forum does best!

Regards to all!

Bess
Old 07-04-21, 03:02 PM

And these must be the above mentioned collars . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210407_143135.jpg (118.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20210407_143151.jpg (117.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-04-21, 03:58 PM

Wife tells me that she remembers as a small child her family (father being a Flight Lieutenant / Squadron Leader at the time) having civilian "Batties" during the late 60's / early 70's, Cypriot females in Cyprus and a Dutch female in Germany, they wore civilian clothes
Old 07-04-21, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Wife tells me that she remembers as a small child her family (father being a Flight Lieutenant / Squadron Leader at the time) having civilian "Batties" during the late 60's / early 70's, Cypriot females in Cyprus and a Dutch female in Germany, they wore civilian clothes

In Cyprus 1961 64, and Germany 1969 96, batting in-house was usually a private arrangement, one often inherited a batty as one "marched in".
Our MQ for my most senior job had a "maid's quarters" but the maid had long made off officially!

I believe one-stars may have had one provided. The AOC in C, at Air Chief Marshal level, had a full uniformed RAF staff at Air House, although what their appointments were I know not. When invited to dinner, the plate was carefully placed with the RAF badge exactly at the top, like Downton Abbet days!

The background to all this is that, as one climbed the greasy pole in seniority, so the privileges of the next grade up were being withdrawn. The one that grated most was the removal of a nice RAF car complete with duty driver, and relegation to self-drive VW. "And bring it back clean!" However, the Messes were immaculately served by uniformed staff, although every "Review" brought loss of perks.