British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-21, 02:29 PM

Default ATS

Trying to gather info re my Mother's ATS insignia. She was attached to the Ack Ack batteries of the RA and I have a photo showing cap badge, white lanyard to right shoulder, grenade & scroll badge above left breast pocket and a coloured tape at the base of the shoulder strap with a badge above it.

Was the tape a particular colour or did it vary per battery and was the badge above it ATS or RA ?

Any help gratefully received.

cheers

Terry
Old 17-02-21, 04:51 PM

Terry,

Tapes such as you describe are a nightmare for collectors. Apart from white tapes worn by officer cadets there are no general rules that apply as units used them to identify all sorts of roles, cadres, training units etc, their meaning only known locally.

I'm not aware that the Gunners wore Battery markings but 54 Bty is the man to answer that question.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jon
Old 17-02-21, 05:54 PM

Terry, I think your mother's career is very cool. I love the ATS ladies who were attached to the RA AA Batteries. You might enjoy watching the war time made movie "The Gentle Sex", which is about 7 ATS girls, some of whom were in an AA battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTs1kUgV6H0

Do you know what your mother's duties were in the battery?

Would love to see the picture if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

Terry
Old 19-02-21, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Terry,

Tapes such as you describe are a nightmare for collectors. Apart from white tapes worn by officer cadets there are no general rules that apply as units used them to identify all sorts of roles, cadres, training units etc, their meaning only known locally.

I'm not aware that the Gunners wore Battery markings but 54 Bty is the man to answer that question.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jon
Thanks Jon, most helpful and will carry on the search.
regards
Terry
Old 19-02-21, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Terry, I think your mother's career is very cool. I love the ATS ladies who were attached to the RA AA Batteries. You might enjoy watching the war time made movie "The Gentle Sex", which is about 7 ATS girls, some of whom were in an AA battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTs1kUgV6H0

Do you know what your mother's duties were in the battery?

Would love to see the picture if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

Terry
Thank you for the input, she worked on a Predictor m/c that fed info to the guns.
Movie info most helpful and I don't have the where with all to send the photo; sorry.
regards
Terry.
Old 19-02-21, 07:27 PM

Hi Terry,

No worry re the photo. More than cool that your mom was on he predictor. If you do watch the movie at the end they show the ladies manning one and that is my favorite part of the movie.

If need be, the full movie I believe is on YouTube. Anyone with an interest inn the ATS would enjoy it I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwynDT8cg0

Stay well,

Terry
Old 19-02-21, 09:04 PM

Nothing to do with badges but I could have bought an ats diary a few years back, one of the girls got hit by an ejected case breaking both legs at the shins.
Old 19-02-21, 09:09 PM

magpie, Sounds like it would have made for interesting reading. I am surprised she was allowed near the gun, as they were not allowed to be part of that crew. Also, that had to hurt plenty!!!

Terry
Old 19-02-21, 09:29 PM

Yes I should have got it, i can't rember the exact reason as it must be about 15years ago.
Old 20-02-21, 03:13 AM

Magpie, Been there for sure. I had a chance waaay back, in the early '60s to get a full French Cuirass and helmet for the whopping sum of $230 US!!! However, being in college at the time that might as well have been a million. But, I've never forgotten it. And that is just one I wish I'd gotten, and far too many to count now! For me, it's having to decide which item I can get with my hobby funds and which I could get but have to pass on to get something else. This does not account for the bits that I know are beyond my funds, so don't even consider them. But bottom line, does no good to look back and best to just be happy with what one has and enjoy it - that works very well for me.

I am also never jealous of what someone else might have more of or has something I don't, but such does serve as a great inspiration, and I enjoy that.

Stay well,

Terry