British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-07-18, 08:18 PM

Default scarce ? South Lancashire collar

I have had this badge a few years and in that time been looking but never seen another [ Has anyone else ] does that make it scarce or even rare .It measures 27mm high x 25mm wide. By its construction i would say it is a officers and with the spelling prince of WALES vols pre 1920's, it has past my mind if it may have been used on FSC though i know they did have the regimental colored one with the cord boss with sphinx on it.
Iain

i have been thinking of letting it go but not sure of its worth any ideas please or PM me

Last edited by iain; 29-08-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 30-07-18, 02:05 PM

Well have sent picture to the Lancashire rgt museum see if they know anything about the badge .
Iain
Old 31-07-18, 01:43 PM

Well, heard from the museum, and they came up with "think they are other ranks rather than officers " Not convinced, still think they are S. lancs and more likely officers as they are similar in design and size, and i know that officers are known to have worn the larger badge in bronze and s/g .So as i said in the beginning could it have been worn in a cap as opposed to a collar I have looked at other regiments but nothing similar has arouse, again has anyone seen or got any views on the badge please.
Iain

Last edited by iain; 29-08-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 31-07-18, 02:12 PM

Iain,

As its only you thats answered your own posts I will join in so you dont get to lonely.

To me its a typical Other ranks bi-metal S. Lancs collar and is what i would class as a variation in manufacturers details only.

Churchills book features similar types.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 31-07-18, 02:41 PM

Thank you Simon. I think me keep answering myself is a bit of a habit i am forming lol.
As a variation a cant remember seeing a o/r collar with the wires to hold overlay in place usually expect sweat holes or nothing, and still a mystery why any other badges of this type has not turned up, nor have i ever seen it in picture form on uniform or otherwise.But maybe you are right .
Iain
Old 31-07-18, 03:57 PM

It looks a put together collar of the two types you show, the scroll being from the earlier pattern.
Paul
Old 03-08-18, 01:49 PM

Well its not a one off, a mate just came round who collects anything Lancashire in particular S.Lancs and he said he has one or two,also the reply from the museum stated they think they have examples but cant say as in the middle of moving collection around.
iain
Old 03-08-18, 04:22 PM

This from Churchill's collar badges book: "The two regiments merged in July 1881 to form The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (Suoth Lancashire Regiment). Consultation between the Officers resulted in the retention of the Prince of Wales's Crest and Motto for the new collar badge, but now with a long scroll enveloping over half the badge, inscribed, "PRINCE OF WALES VOLUNTEERS". The design was submitted by Messrs. Smith and Wright, Birmingham, on behalf of the Regiment. It was not initially accepted, being revised by the AAG Horse Guards, who directed that the new badge would be in white-metal and gilding-metal. The final design Pattern No. 9910, sealed 29th December 1881, the Feathers and Motto in white-metal and the Coronet and title scroll in gilding-metal (Fig. 1112). This badge was also worn on the field cap up to the introduction of a new field service cap in December 1897. The opportunity was then taken to cut a renewal of the standard pattern from new dies. The resultant pattern, No. 9910a being sealed 14th September 1899. No change in design."

What are the differences between Pattern 9910 and 9910a?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 07-07-22, 08:50 PM

Any one got a picture of this badge