British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-23, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Mike.

Further to our last, I think I stated that the two BL cap badges came with his BL lapel badge. Having now looked over your excellent collection of badges I fear that I maybe wrong in that assumption.

The 'Lapel Badge' I thought I had has no rear fastening to speak of, and completely different to the ones you show in that:

This badge is the same size as the Lions Head enamel centre of the BLVP badge. On the rear has the Birmingham makers mark with the correct registered design number.

But it has two screw fastenings in the rear centre not the usual 'claw'type fixing
Anyhow take a look at the attachments here and I would like your observations on them please, thanks.
Hi

Other option is that it may be from a display board. The screw posts are soft soldered in place and most fittings by any respectable badge maker are hard soldered.

The extensive chipping to the enamel could be the result of a hard life on a board in a club, etc.

Years back, I saw a great display in a servicemens' club with all cap and collar badges lovingly drilled and screwed to a board. I've also seen glue used for this purpose!
Old 25-06-23, 08:03 AM

Thanks, for the reply.
I suppose I shall never know exactly why he had this with his items. The beauty being, thankfully I am not a collector of such items so do not suffer the frustrations of not knowing exactly where something is from.