British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-16, 04:40 PM

Default South Alberta Regt repro

Here is a reproduction of the Canadian South Alberta Regt, Scully Montreal marked on reverse. The badge has a very shiny look to it, at first I thought it was an officers gilt badge, but no, its a copy of OR badge. The marking on the reverse SCULLY MONTREAL is very close to the original marking. The lugs are the give away, same bright finish as the rest of the badge. The overlay is also an exact copy of the original with a cut out on the top for the crown.

The reproductions are getting better made everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3638 r.jpg (89.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3639 r.jpg (48.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3640 r.jpg (113.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-03-16, 07:56 PM

Mike, is there something in particular or indicative that you are seeing about the badge that makes you think it is a reproduction, rather that a good badge that has been plated?

Last week, I saw a handful of badges David S recently purchased out of (Quebec, I think), all good badges, but someone had very skillfully electroplated them all. One standout in particular was a Scully marked Calgary Regiment badge.

Nice looking, like plated medals, but no longer the original finish.
Old 07-03-16, 08:13 PM

The metal is lighter than the original
Old 07-03-16, 08:25 PM

Interesting. The badge does look plated though. I heard Scully was doing commemorative shadow boxes to order perhaps this is from one of those.
Old 07-03-16, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think Bill may have the answer. It doesn't look like a bad badge, but the finish is unusual. Perhaps someone is cleaning and refinishing these? The badge is very good quality, and one would have to wonder how much it costs to make a copy of the South Alberta. They are not a difficult badge to find.
Old 07-03-16, 10:23 PM

Further to my earlier post. Most of the badges that David S acquired that had been plated were very common badges. It did strike me as it might have been done for display purposes. Among David's lot was a 16/22 Sask Horse badge and I have seen one of those gold plated before. I recall also hearing in the past about Legion displays with 'plated' cap badges - could be from one of those collections?

Perhaps we can persuade David S to post some pictures of his badge lot?

The badges were very cleanly and skillfully plated, front and back (backs were always gold coated on bi-metal badges), with plating covering over the lugs. Otherwise, good badges.