British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-20, 06:30 PM

Default Lockdown, sick of it!

No more holidays in Wales this year following events at the Senedd this evening, disappointing, but, not unexpected, I hope there will be something left by next year.
Old 29-09-20, 07:21 PM
LYPAO Boff

..... both my Daughter and son have had Covid and also my daughters boyfriend. My Brother in law (60) senior nurse in London has also had it...... all of them have said it was no worse than a bad flu. All have recovered with no ill effects. Didnt need to go to Hospital ..... and at no point felt in peril throughout their illness.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 29-09-20, 07:43 PM

Old 29-09-20, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
..... both my Daughter and son have had Covid and also my daughters boyfriend. My Brother in law (60) senior nurse in London has also had it...... all of them have said it was no worse than a bad flu. All have recovered with no ill effects. Didnt need to go to Hospital ..... and at no point felt in peril throughout their illness.
Very glad your family members have recovered and suffer no ill effects Griff.

There are however, in excess of 42,000 people last count, who if they were still alive would tell you their outcome was sadly very different.

I pray that the improvements we’ve seen in treatment since the first wave’s peak go some significant way to mitigating the mortality rate of the second especially for those individuals with vulnerabilities whom I’m sure we all know and have in our own families.

Those who read history will know the outcome of the late 1918 second wave of Spanish flu. Let’s hope covid-19 has a different ending.
Old 29-09-20, 07:45 PM

As did my aunt.
Old 29-09-20, 07:46 PM

I’m sorry for your loss Leigh and mjw.
Old 29-09-20, 07:48 PM

Thanks - a case of contracting Covid whilst attending hospital re. an unrelated illness.
Old 29-09-20, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Very glad your family members have recovered and suffer no ill effects Griff.

There are however, in excess of 42,000 people last count, who if they were still alive would tell you their outcome was sadly very different.

I pray that the improvements we’ve seen in treatment since the first wave’s peak go some significant way to mitigating the mortality rate of the second especially for those individuals with vulnerabilities whom I’m sure we all know and have in our own families.

Those who read history will know the outcome of the late 1918 second wave of Spanish flu. Let’s hope covid-19 has a different ending.
That 42,000 figure is 'with' covid not 'off covid' two completely different things.

If you get knocked down by a bus and test positive after, you still get added to the list.

The government's actions will result in more deaths then this virus, the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 29-09-20, 08:37 PM
LYPAO Boff

..... I have just imparted our experience with Covid. Condolences to anyone who has suffered a loss from it.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 29-09-20, 11:13 PM

There is much misinformation and some disinformation regarding COVID-19.
A lot of what is in MSM or imparted on us by governments is untrue, partialy true and some even true.
Lot's of people have agenda's and most people never research but just repeat what they have seen on social media or MSM or hear from someone else.
There are also differences between some countries and communities inside those countries but there are also some similarities.
Old 30-09-20, 06:52 AM

I have also lost a friend as well as a colleague to the virus, however in South Africa there are now an estimated 2,2 million jobs losses since the start of the year so I cannot support the lockdowns. The damage caused outweighs the risk for a developing nation. Crime is rising because people are desperate and their futures look bleak. Terrible situation.
Old 30-09-20, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
That 42,000 figure is 'with' covid not 'off covid' two completely different things.

If you get knocked down by a bus and test positive after, you still get added to the list.
A high percentage of the deaths in the UK are a combination of age and underlying medical/health issues. Advances in medical/pharmaceutical treatments mean that 'sick' patients are living longer but are also more susceptible to viruses etc.

At the start of this we were given a daily 'tally' of the number of deaths (most of which were in 'high risk' groups) , now (with more testing) we are no longer being routinely informed of deaths but simply those who tested positive. The vast majority now have a low risk of serious symptoms , so should more effort be put into isolating/safeguarding those at high risk and allow the majority to start getting back to more normal living ?

One point that is not really discussed is the figures/statistics , why are the "reported" UK numbers so much higher than other countries ?

Is it really a case of more deaths , in a "first world" country with good medical/housing/hygene standards , than in a "third world" country with few facilities , low living standards and basic health care ?

Or is it simply that other countries accept that sick/elderly/high risk people die (with or without Covid) and do not include them in their numbers.

Figures can be misleading , I worked in a major Cardiac/Transplant operating theatre , statistically one Consultant had a higher morbidity/mortality rate than another Consultant . So was he a "bad" surgeon ? (on paper it would appear so).

The fact was that he would take on very high risk cases (that the other Consultant would not) , without surgery they would definitely die but with surgery they had 'possibly' a 5-10% chance of survival.

My point is that we class those 'with Covid' , those who were found to 'have had' Covid and those who 'have Covid as a possible contributing factor' as a single grouping . While other countries only classify those who actually died 'from Covid'.

If we had a daily tally of those who died from cancer , old age , flu or numerous other causes what would it show ?

Annual statistics reported dementia is the leading cause of death in the UK.

Why ?
  • More people are getting a diagnosis
  • People are living longer
  • A change in the way deaths are recorded

Poppy and British Legion Wanted