British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-16, 04:06 PM

Michael, if DND had wanted to change the pip from the Order of Bath to a more Canadianized version with the maple leaf they should have done it when the switch was made a year or two ago. It would still have commemorated Vimy.

I agree with Ed about the waste of money spent on 'bling' when they would be better off spending it on wounded vets, better equipment, etc.
David
Old 06-04-16, 07:47 PM

Default How much bling does one guy need?

Old 07-04-16, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post

Very interesting, thanks.

I never complain that the CO gets a cot to sleep on out in the field, since we're depending on him to be able to make decisions with a clear head on behalf of all of us. Likewise, if our CDS is going to be going abroad to speak on behalf of Canadians and those in the profession of arms here, I have no problem with him looking like he has the same status as the chiefs of staff of our allies. The American CJCS wears four stars on his shoulder, there is some logic and historical precedent for Canadian and British officers to adopt similar insignia.

General Montgomery's jeep, for example, had a four-star placard in Normandy:

The insignia above seems to accomplish all the goals one would expect - a nod to tradition (the crossed baton and marmeluke sabre), allegiance to the Crown (with a literal crown), an expression of Canadian nationality (the maple leaves) and a correlation to the responsibilities held by a soldier of that rank that is not as obvious by the star and crown sequences (and the perpetual state of confusion people seem to have about why a Lieutenant-General is higher than a Major-General despite a Major outranking a Lieutenant).
Old 07-04-16, 05:10 PM

Thumbs down

OK, but cuff lace and gorget patches and the new gold maple leafs. Does he need it all? We are starting to look too American, actually too Idi Amin, 3rd world dictator.
Old 07-04-16, 06:08 PM

Micheal,perhaps this will answer your question....why a Lieutenant-General is higher than a Major-General despite a Major outranking a Lieutenant.

Answer:The rank (Lieutenant-general) traces its origins to the Middle Ages, where the title of lieutenant general was held by the second in command on the battlefield, who was normally subordinate to a captain general*.

Also:Major-general: It is derived from the older rank of sergeant-major-general. Over the course of the 17th century, the increasing professionalisation of armies saw sergeant major general become the most junior of the general ranks. At the same time, the sergeant portion of the title was more and more commonly dropped; by the early 18th century, the rank's name had been permanently shortened to major general.

*Captain-general:The term "Captain General" started to appear in the 14th century, with the meaning of Commander in Chief of an army (or fleet) in the field, probably the first usage of the term General in military settings. A popular term in the 16th and 17th centuries, but with various meanings depending on the country, it became less and less used in the 18th century, usually substituted with, simply, General or Fieldmarshal; and after the end of the Napoleonic Wars it had all but disappeared in most European countries......

Informations courtesy of Wikipedia....even if not totally entirely 100% accurate all the times......

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 07-04-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 04:19 PM

Default Vimy Star

I've just received this Powerpoint presentation re: the new Vimy Star, which I thought members would be interested in. I haven't been on the forum for a few days, so I hope no one's beaten me to it! I also have a French version if francophones want it. I had to save it as a pdf to post it.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Info Brief - Vimy Star 31 Mar 16 ENG v4.pdf (310.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-04-16, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hi David, merged your post with the existing thread re these new rank insignia.
Old 16-04-16, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Micheal,perhaps this will answer your question
Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't asking, just noting that many others do. :-)