British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-21, 11:59 PM

Default War Service mystery badge?

Grateful for any suggestions regarding the background to this bronze(?) badge, with traces of having been gilt at some point. Maker is H.B. Sale, Birm.

Was wondering if it was a badge for active war service or if it was in recognition of services rendered post-war.

A clue to its origin may be the remains of the purple ribbon, possibly for the addition of service bars.

It clearly is some "official" issue as it is numbered ("N 381").

OK, what is the considered opinion of the Forum?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsmystery2.JPG (29.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg owsmystery3.JPG (29.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-08-21, 09:07 AM

Not one that I have seen before . Only other photo I can find is one previously sold (?) but no details/listing available.

Am curious , is there anything on the bar under the ribbon ? If the ribbon was for additional service bars you would expect the original badge to have the 'first issued' date like the official OWS badges.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ww1-war-service-badge-numbered-hb-sale-birmingham.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 10-08-21, 10:31 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks again! You've probably found the picture of the badge that I bought! It was another, relatively cheap buy and I just felt that there must be some story to it.

Yes, I'm there ahead of you as I gently pulled back the ribbon. It looks to be a plain bar with no text on it. How the heck they stitched that on...

It must have been for the addition of bars showing extra service or some position held within a group. Certainly for wear by a man.

Normally I'd just say that it's one of those obscure "service" badges that seemed to be issued by everybody from the Boy Scouts to the Coco Cubs but with a number this suggests a higher level of organisation.

The search continues...