British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-21, 06:48 AM

Default 1915 OWS modified

Just acquired this 1915 badge. OK, nothing special here, despite the fact that many hopeful sellers like to talk these up as "a rare badge"....

What caught my eye was the rather brutal way it had been renumbered with the original letter and issue number ground off.

As a D.G. Collins badge what might the original letter have been?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915renumbered.jpg (20.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 31-07-21, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Just acquired this 1915 badge. OK, nothing special here, despite the fact that many hopeful sellers like to talk these up as "a rare badge"....

What caught my eye was the rather brutal way it had been renumbered with the original letter and issue number ground off.

As a D.G. Collins badge what might the original letter have been?
D.G. Collins made 'P' and 'U' series badges .

'Ticker' suggested that 'J' series (reissued) badges came after the 'Z' series , as to whether they are "rare badges" depends on how many there were.

The other 'series' each consisted of 99,999 badges but so far the highest number I've seen on a 'J' series badge was 31,176 , so they could be described as the 'rarest' series.

Here is a badge that has been brutalised ! It's on eBay described as “Collectable Condition”

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad 1.jpg (35.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Bad 2.jpg (44.1 KB, 18 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-07-21, 10:37 PM

Hi Mike

I knew I could count on you for an answer!

I think the appellation "rare" gets bandied about by anyone who hopes that the potential buyer will be snared by this!

We have a local trader who describes everything on his site as either "awesome" or "stunning". I'm told that he is called "Mr. Awesome" by some and it's not meant as a compliment...

Yep, you win in the "beat-up badge" stakes, although there was one 1915 badge that had clearly been a detector find with half the crown eroded and much of the detail gone from the front.

Still available I think...