British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-13, 12:17 AM
Banned

Default Clansman's Crests in Military use

Hallo.
My interest is Scottish clan crests , my own being the Maxwell.
I don't collect clans crests , I give them to a rightful owner.

Some years ago I saw one that was unknown to me in a junk shop . Out of curiosity I bought it and after considerable research I found out that it is a rare Clan Russell crest badge .
A week later I was at a Pipe Band Championships gathering where one of the judges was a Russell . He had never seen one, had no idea that any had ever been made .

Military badges that are based on clansman's crests and the histories behind those adoptions are what brings me here .
The wealth of information and the many anecdotes on all manner of other subjects makes good reading as well.
Old 25-01-13, 10:30 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Clansman

I have a silver mounted Meerschaum pipe with a 17th Lancers Motto on the hinged lid with a McDonald crest on the stem of the pipe. Its hallmarked 1834.

I dont know if thats the type of thing you are interested in but I'd be happy to send you photos if you want to Pm me your email address.

Regards from down under.

Phil.
Old 25-01-13, 11:21 AM
Banned

Phil ,
that sounds interesting .
Post them on here will be ok .
thanks .
Max

Are you a Maxwell too ?
Old 29-01-13, 10:04 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Clansman

Sorry I cant post photos to the forum it just defeats me. And no not a Maxwell , I collect anything with a 17th Lancers Motto on it and the pipe has a McDonald crest.

I live down under, been here since 1852 and very much an Aussie, but also have British heritage and proud of it, but not a drop of Scottish blood to be seen. We hail from Somerset origonally and my mother has a convict ancestor who stole a cow in Galloway and got a 10 year holiday in Tasmania. Not much of a holiday I suspect.

Post me a pm with yor email address and I will send you some photos of the pipe.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-01-13, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Clansman

Sorry I cant post photos to the forum it just defeats me. And no not a Maxwell , I collect anything with a 17th Lancers Motto on it and the pipe has a McDonald crest.

I live down under, been here since 1852 and very much an Aussie, but also have British heritage and proud of it, but not a drop of Scottish blood to be seen. We hail from Somerset origonally and my mother has a convict ancestor who stole a cow in Galloway and got a 10 year holiday in Tasmania. Not much of a holiday I suspect.

Post me a pm with yor email address and I will send you some photos of the pipe.

Regards

Phil.
If you are not a member of the Clan Maxwell , why are you addressing me as Clansman ?
We are not kinsman .

My username on this forum is located to the left of every one of my posts.
How can you not see it ?

I do not believe that you are 161 years old . Do you think me stupid ?
Your family history of dishonesty is not my concern.

I will not supply you with my email address . That is why I told you to post the photos on this forum .
How hard is that to figure out ?

Does the military badge have any of the elements of a Clan MacDonald crest ?
If not , why did you post on this thread ?
Old 29-01-13, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I think you need to calm down a bit 'Max on the crest trail'. I can't see anything in the 'Lancer 17' posts above to warrant a response like that.
Old 29-01-13, 11:35 AM

I thought Lancer17's post rather amusing, particularly the bit about his ancestor nicking a mombie, and of course he meant his family has been down under since 1852, not him personally.

To my mind he paid Max a compliment by calling him a Clansman, i.e. a member of a respected Clan. He did not say 'Fellow Clansman'

Somewhere along the way the meaning of the message got lost in transit I think.

Last edited by johnG; 29-01-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 29-01-13, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I thought Lancer17's post rather amusing, particularly the bit about his ancestor nicking a mombie, and of course he meant his family has been down under since 1852, not him personally.

To my mind he paid Max a compliment by calling him a Clansman, i.e. a member of a respected Clan. He did not say 'Fellow Clansman'

Somewhere along the way the meaning of the message got lost in transit I think.
Clansman is synonymous with kinsman , meaning a member of the same clan .
I do not appreciate someone claiming to be a clansman of mine when no such relationship exists.

The pipe that the individual was posting about does not have a military badge that is based on a clan crest badge attached to it .
In my introductory post I made perfectly clear my reason for joining this forum .

I find it hard to believe that the individual cannot post a photograph on this forum , yet can put one in an email .
The processes are extremely similar .

I will not give my email address to someone whom I am suspicious of .
Old 29-01-13, 01:13 PM

As Mike said, "I think you need to calm down a bit 'Max on the crest trail'. I can't see anything in the 'Lancer 17' posts above to warrant a response like that."
Many members have had dificulty posting photos, and, yes it is easy, but only if you know how!
Eddie
Old 29-01-13, 01:43 PM

Default Dishonest Family History?

Some clans are known for their forbearance and courtesy towards others. Their pride lies within their noblesse oblige and the notion of responsibilities towards others, including honourable and generous behaviour.

Some clans are rather more preoccupied with themselves and better known for their arrogance, spite and malice to their neighbours and fellows. In centuries gone by, they spent much time and effort in prosecuting feuds and quarrels with their neighbours.

Following on from the comment about a history of dishonest family, and without intending to cast aspersions to anyone bearing the name in the modern day, a historical fact worth recalling may be that, in the sixteenth century Clan Maxwell was the strongest Reiver family in the Scottish West March. The clan chief was sent to prison in 1530, for 'committing outrages'.

Reivers were border raiders. They were well known as murderers, thieves, arsonists and cattle rustlers.

Best regards to all.
Old 29-01-13, 01:52 PM

Thank you William, it is nice to know that in some quarters the tradition is being continued.
I mean of course about that cow getting nicked. !!

Last edited by johnG; 29-01-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 29-01-13, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Max on the crest trail;198816]................................................In my introductory post I made perfectly clear my reason for joining this forum ...................................

QUOTE]

Yes, you did!

You also said,"The wealth of information and the many anecdotes on all manner of other subjects makes good reading as well."

Personally, I found Lancers' asides, when he made his generous offer to send photos of the crest on the pipe which he thought you might find of interest, made good reading. They also appeared to be a genuine attempt at friendliness and cameraderie. The sort of thing on which this Forum thrives. I don't believe that any other member who read the post would have reverted to semantics to try turn it into something unpleasant.

Shades of CFTD! The coffee leaves a bitter taste in my mouth!

Donny B.
Old 29-01-13, 04:25 PM

I can only think that, perhaps, you should go suck a pipe, on your own, Max, you are not going to make friends with an attitude like that on a forum. You take offence at being called Clansman, which was an honest mistake IMO, well I think thats very childish.

Oh and I have direct Scottish / Irish blood in me so I am not being racist in anyway. It would be more racist for me to insult an Englishman.

Grow up!! what utter b******s!

Phil
Old 29-01-13, 05:25 PM

These Essex lads say what they mean, where us lesser types try to be more diplomatic about saying the same thing.
Good on yer Phil

Last edited by johnG; 29-01-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 29-01-13, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I can only think that, perhaps, you should go suck a pipe, on your own, Max, you are not going to make friends with an attitude like that on a forum. You take offence at being called Clansman, which was an honest mistake IMO, well I think thats very childish.

Oh and I have direct Scottish / Irish blood in me so I am not being racist in anyway. It would be more racist for me to insult an Englishman.

Grow up!! what utter b******s!

Phil
You again huh.
Foul mouthed creature .
Do you really think that the lie twice told by the individual about not being capable of posting pictures on this forum , but being able to put them in an email is true ?