British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-12, 09:38 AM

Hullo Iain

I believe that they are all Boer War era except for the one (second last) that has a horisontal connecting bar as an integral part of the badge which was worn afterwards as a shoulder title only.

The one where the letters are fixed to a horisontal bar at the back seems to be the same as the one in the photo.

Have attached a cloth title for interest. I am not sure exactly when it was worn and any info would be most welcome.

I have also attached a scan of a few other later badges as well as the horse hair hackle that the ILH wore on the polo helmet in the 1920s / 30s for interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imperial Light Horse WW2.jpg (25.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Light Horse cap badge brass.jpg (26.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Light Horse officers bi metal.jpg (31.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Light Horse collar blackened.jpg (16.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Light Horse chrome mod.jpg (63.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Hackle ILH.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-05-14, 05:00 PM

Hello Iain,
One of the joys of being a new member here is looking at old posts, I enjoyed reading this thread, but, do you have a favourite amongst the very many Imperial Light Horse badges that had been worn since 1899?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi All,

its a bit quiet in SA these days but can anyone say for sure what headdress badge were worn by the ILH during the Boer war.
Owen's only starts the crossed flags in 1903 and only shows shoulder titles for the ABW.
The pictures I have in the book "Light Horse Cavalcade" possibly shows the crossed flags on some slouch hats.
On a forage cap, a title being worn; on an Officer's forage cap, what could be a cloth/bullion crossed flags?

Does anyone have anything conclusive?

Iain
Old 10-05-14, 09:03 AM

Hi Frank,

one of my favourite units.

ILH set 005.jpg

I don't have a favourite ILH badge, but several!

Alongside the balkie, there are 2 ABW Slouch hat titles. Top left a Volunteer period collar, still need the cap below the balkie is a bi metal version and then of course the ILH*KR title.

Apologies for the quality of the pic. I dont really want to take all the badges off the frame but I'll take an individual badge or 2 if anyone is interested.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
One of the joys of being a new member here is looking at old posts, I enjoyed reading this thread, but, do you have a favourite amongst the very many Imperial Light Horse badges that had been worn since 1899?
Regards Frank
Old 10-05-14, 10:12 AM

Here are a couple more that I like...
Silver officers badge I believe worn unofficially in WWII; Pipers badge and plaid brooch, both modern, so really Light Horse reg, but I like them
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06022.jpg (73.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06455.jpg (120.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06454.jpg (106.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-05-14, 03:54 PM

The large white metal cap badges were actually worn by the rank and file, they were made in Johannesburg during the war, whilst they seldom turn up these days, I believe that their use was quite considerable, they are sometimes described as "unofficial" because of the use of their regiments name on the scroll, in English, rather than the familiar motto, which was always in Latin.
However, this was quite deliberate and "official" despite not conforming to their dress regulations, they saw extensive use in Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Silver officers badge I believe worn unofficially in WWII; Pipers badge and plaid brooch, both modern, so really Light Horse reg, but I like them
Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-05-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 04:00 PM

Very nice Iain,
So how often do you buy pieces to this regiment, they just had so much stuff down the years.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

one of my favourite units.

Attachment 105608

I don't have a favourite ILH badge, but several!

Alongside the balkie, there are 2 ABW Slouch hat titles. Top left a Volunteer period collar, still need the cap below the balkie is a bi metal version and then of course the ILH*KR title.

Apologies for the quality of the pic. I dont really want to take all the badges off the frame but I'll take an individual badge or 2 if anyone is interested.

regards, Iain

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-05-14 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 03:01 AM

Alex,

I lust after your plaid brooches! Very nice

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-05-14, 03:03 AM

Hi Frank,

not much different stuff comes up now; just have to keep looking.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Very nice Iain,
So how often do you buy pieces to this regiment, they just had so much stuff down the years.
Regards Frank
Old 11-05-14, 03:05 AM

Hi Dudley,

I see you also have th bi metal cap badge. Do you know anything about it, when it was worn etc?

I like the hackle particularly.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Hullo Iain

I believe that they are all Boer War era except for the one (second last) that has a horisontal connecting bar as an integral part of the badge which was worn afterwards as a shoulder title only.

The one where the letters are fixed to a horisontal bar at the back seems to be the same as the one in the photo.

Have attached a cloth title for interest. I am not sure exactly when it was worn and any info would be most welcome.

I have also attached a scan of a few other later badges as well as the horse hair hackle that the ILH wore on the polo helmet in the 1920s / 30s for interest.
Old 11-05-14, 07:43 AM

Hi Iain,
The bimetal badges can be seen in Colin Owen 620-622. According to a 1940 copy of ILH dress regulations I have the bi-metal badges were to be worn on the blue patrol jacket, on the blue forage cap and on collars of mess dress. Owen says they were officer issue, but I believe whoever wore blue patrols, wore these bi-metal badges. They were probably worn over the period 1913 - 1960 but that needs confirmation.

Also according to same dress regulations. all other forms of dress wer to have gilt (or gilding metal) regimental badges. This was as at publication of regulations in 1940.

Steven
Old 11-05-14, 09:11 AM

Hi Steven,

thanks for the information.

My own biM cap badge is the size of O 625 and is chromed although it is ILH and not LHR. It probably does fall under the same regs though.

Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi Iain,
The bimetal badges can be seen in Colin Owen 620-622. According to a 1940 copy of ILH dress regulations I have the bi-metal badges were to be worn on the blue patrol jacket, on the blue forage cap and on collars of mess dress. Owen says they were officer issue, but I believe whoever wore blue patrols, wore these bi-metal badges. They were probably worn over the period 1913 - 1960 but that needs confirmation.

Also according to same dress regulations. all other forms of dress wer to have gilt (or gilding metal) regimental badges. This was as at publication of regulations in 1940.

Steven
Old 11-05-14, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The large white metal cap badges were actually worn by the rank and file, they were made in Johannesburg during the war, whilst they seldom turn up these days, I believe that their use was quite considerable, they are sometimes described as "unofficial" because of the use of their regiments name on the scroll, in English, rather than the familiar motto, which was always in Latin.
However, this was quite deliberate and "official" despite not conforming to their dress regulations, they saw extensive use in Italy.
Hi Frank
Ok, that's interesting. More info to add to the archives. Stuff like that needs to be recorded, so thanks again for the info!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-05-14, 10:20 AM

Hello Alex,
Has your badge been brooched, looking at your photo it appears to have a silver pin to the reverse, they were made with two little silver wire lugs that were attached to the lower corner of the standard and jack, just above the scroll.
Whilst they certainly would have made a very fine lady's brooch too, I dare say that some might have been worn on the beret with a pin.
Regards Frank
Old 11-05-14, 02:19 PM

Hi Frank
Yes, it is pinned and I believe the pin is original, there's no evidence of it ever having had anything else. I think this one is silver, not WM.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-05-14, 02:47 PM

Hello Alex,
Where on the reverse are the hook and hinge, if they are on the lower corner of the standard and jack just above the scroll it would be very difficult to say for sure.
I use the term white metal because the nickel content does not appear to be the same as what I would class as "silver" they are rather similar to the metal used on high quality rank and file badges and plates that were made in the Edwardian period, though, cast rather than struck, but, the lugs were silver wire and you always get the area of the join appearing a little black with oxidization.
The wartime Johannesburg made Witwatersrand Rifles and South African Corps of Signals are exactly the same, with both the metal and lugs used being identical in all respects.
Regards Frank

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 11-05-14 at 06:53 PM.