British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-14, 02:32 PM

Hi Frank,

why small silver lugs?

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
The badge should have very small silver lugs and I would think those on yours have been replaced at some point which was why I asked, notwithstanding, still a good scarce badge!
Regards Frank
Old 14-09-14, 02:41 PM

Hello Iain,
I've yet to see an example of this and the other badges that came from this particular fellow in Johannesburg that did not have the distinctive small silver wire lugs.
Of course, there is always a first time!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

why small silver lugs?

regards, Iain
Old 14-09-14, 02:52 PM

Hi Frank,

the lugs are also long which I why I thought a helmet badge but when you say silver do you mean silver, or maybe silver plated?
Not being pedantic, I don't actually know

regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
I've yet to see an example of this and the other badges that came from this particular fellow in Johannesburg that did not have the distinctive small silver wire lugs.
Of course, there is always a first time!
Kind regards Frank
Old 14-09-14, 03:00 PM

Hello Iain,
I really don't have a problem with your badge, I would expect the lugs to have been made from silver wire, I have never seen one of these that did not have them, but, I really don't think it matters too much.
I would have to say that because a badge may have long lugs it does not mean to say it would have been worn on a helmet, many Parachute Regiment badges have been made on very long lugs, but, those were worn on the beret.
Kind regards Frank
Old 14-09-14, 04:25 PM

Hi Frank,

dont worry, it's just in my nature, I dont need to be told something's wrong, I need to know why it's wrong.
Apart from helmet badges, other long lugs have been Scottish (e.g.) where there's been a tartan backing. Your Para badges weren't perhaps from Scots; just a thought.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
I really don't have a problem with your badge, I would expect the lugs to have been made from silver wire, I have never seen one of these that did not have them, but, I really don't think it matters too much.
I would have to say that because a badge may have long lugs it does not mean to say it would have been worn on a helmet, many Parachute Regiment badges have been made on very long lugs, but, those were worn on the beret.
Kind regards Frank
Old 14-09-14, 04:38 PM

Hello Iain,
Well, I certainly don't think your badge is "wrong" I will give you my thoughts if you can show a clear picture of the reverse, worst case could only be they are replacements, but, if so, the originals, may have broken.
Or they may be original to your badge, the silver wire might have run out, I just don't know.
I do know that I like your badge and that these are certainly not common.
I think people often read far too much into badges anyway as a rule.
LOL, yes, that "old chestnut" regarding Scottish parachute battalions and companies has been "wheeled out" many times too, but, the fact is that the tartan was worn by all ranks and not just officers, so I don't give it too much thought really.
(Is tartan really that thick?)
Kind regards Frank
Old 15-09-14, 03:17 PM

Hi Frank,

the old chestnut as you call it, I hadn't heard of before re Para badges and it was just a thought I had then but I have some old badges with original Tartan backing and it is quite thick, almost like blanket material. It was just a thought.
I agree that people read too much into badges. There are huge variations in WWII badges, particularly SA. In times of war funny things happen.

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
Well, I certainly don't think your badge is "wrong" I will give you my thoughts if you can show a clear picture of the reverse, worst case could only be they are replacements, but, if so, the originals, may have broken.
Or they may be original to your badge, the silver wire might have run out, I just don't know.
I do know that I like your badge and that these are certainly not common.
I think people often read far too much into badges anyway as a rule.
LOL, yes, that "old chestnut" regarding Scottish parachute battalions and companies has been "wheeled out" many times too, but, the fact is that the tartan was worn by all ranks and not just officers, so I don't give it too much thought really.
(Is tartan really that thick?)
Kind regards Frank
Old 15-09-14, 07:21 PM

Hello Iain,
One thing I did notice at once with your badge is the position of those lugs, well, the one that is visible on your photo, at any rate, they are where you would expect them to be, which is a good thing, the obvious place to site them would have been on the reverse of the flag and standard.
Regards Frank