British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-15, 10:36 AM

Default A badge makers son

Greetings....

This may well be the only post I make since I confess my interest in badges is only from the point of view that my father used to make them and in researching his life I came across a reference on this forum to the company he worked for all his life. However, I may be able to help some of you. My father is still alive at the age of 95 and has a good memory.

There is a old post in the "It's a mystery - " section that refers to T.Miles London as a badge maker.

My father was the backbone of this small company and worked for them all his life having grown up with Tommy Miles. They were situated at 108 Old St Clerkenwell.

As far as I know they didn't make the badges from scratch but finished off the blanks. My fathers speciality was saw piercing. They also dabbled in masonic regalia but later the mainstay of the business was clocks. My father made many a clock face, case, hands and other bits. All by hand.

In the '60s - he gave me a suitcase full of military badges that had passed through his workshop. There must have been over 1000. I remember pouring over them but without appreciating that he'd actually made them. A wonderful collection but not fully appreciated by my mother who considered most of what I and my father had as junk, so she gave them away, without even telling us. This was a frequent occurrence.

All I have left is a silver ARP badge. My father told me that many badges, particularly the ARP badges were made of stirling silver before the government realised that this was a costly exercise and not helping the war effort. Many folk did realise the value of the silver and many a badge went "missing in action" so that a new one could be requested. Eventually a cheaper material was used.

Another example of dad's work was when he was in the Army during WWII. He was in the Buffs and during some spare time made a wooden shield with the Buffs Dragon mounted on it and surrounded by small shields with the names painted on of the members of his company. I seem to recall that he made it from the door of an old barracks. It hung on my bedroom wall for many a year until mum decided I didn't want it.

One of his other party tricks was to make broaches from the old half pennies. The ones with the ship on the back. He would cut out the ship, leaving it in the coin and make a broach out of it. I do recall seeing one rare sample that had been enameled.

I haven't come across much other written references to Tommy Miles and my dad Ron Woodbridge but did find an article in a Clock magazine. It may (or may not ) be of interest to you.

http://www.antique-horology.org/_Edi...EE_GENERATIONS

If you have any questions that I could put to my dad just post them here.

Colin
Old 11-11-15, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Colin, Welcome to the Forum, and thank-you for your kind offer to help collectors with their research. It will be interesting to see what develops.
Old 11-11-15, 03:06 PM

Hello Colin,

Thank you for that, some great personal details and lovely to read. I don't have any specific question but wanted to share my own example of a T. Miles badge. It is of course a sterling silver WWII vintage set for the Canadian 8th Recce. I'm not sure if this set of badges came through your fathers hands but wanted to share it. Perhaps in honor and appreciation of your father's work more forum members can share their examples?

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th R C&C Front Copyright © 2015 Roy Shadbolt Collection JPG.jpg (23.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (77.1 KB, 65 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 11-11-15, 03:40 PM

Thanks folks.

Roy, I'll show that one to my father next time I see him. It may bring back memories.

Examples of other work would be most welcome.

Colin
Old 11-11-15, 08:29 PM

Hello Colin, Fascinating post. Welcome

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........
Old 11-11-15, 10:21 PM

Hello Colin ... our very best wishes to Dad ... and a glass of something appropriate with him !!

Ritchie
Old 12-11-15, 10:37 AM

I find it fascinating to see and read fairly detailed descriptions of how previous generations of business worked and actually how little the process has changed over time.

As a fellow metalworker and piercer, other than no longer having to make a saw blade up, I use exactly the same method and tools as that article. Indeed, having done work for horologists in restoring clocks, I've reproduced damaged clock hands and corner mounts/inlays in exactly the same way, even down to having templates in envelopes to work from.

Factories, like Toyes, Firmins et al, employed considerable numbers of young women in whole departments dedicated to just piercing work out as well as a considerable proportion of the silver trades in birmingham and sheffield etc.